Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How to I prepare the surface to install stone panel on the stucco?

How to I prepare the surface to install stone panel on the stucco?

Old 08-15-14, 01:27 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's a very thin stucco. I think it's even thinner than 1/4". I would say between 1/8" to 1/16". From my relative's assumption, it's the cement behind the thin stucco surface. So I am going to try grinding off thin stucco for the front side first. It's only about 30 square feet.
I will post some pictures later.

Old 08-15-14, 12:20 PM
A
Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  37.7 KBName:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  29.7 KB

I have to remove the safety guard as the grinder wheel won't fit with it.

Old 08-15-14, 08:15 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I'm not sure but maybe you are misunderstanding something important. Stucco is the system. From the inside out it is paper or felt, lath or woven wire, scratch coat of Portland cement plaster,brown coat of Portland cement plaster! finish coat of usually Portland cement based material or an acrylic material both integrally colored
Exterior InsulTing Finish System. (EIFS) is also. System. You can google it and read Bout it because I am getting tired typing. So if what you have is EIFS then the whole coating is thin and it is over foam. maybe you have a sort of hybrid system which is ~3/8" thick. I wish you would cut out an inspection hole and show us a picture of the cross section of what you have. If the whole system is thin over foam you are still not going to have the necessary support for your stone.
If you have EIFS don't wAste your time grinding it off take the whole thing off.

Old 08-17-14, 09:10 PM
A
Okay I tried youtube a bit. Correct me if I am wrong. There's 3 coat 3/8", 3/8" 1/8" in the EIFE?
What I was told to do is to grind off the very surface so I still have the 6/8"'s material to support the stone.

Or you would recommend me to lath the exterior, put on the scratch coat then in stall the stone? The problem here is how do I make sure there's enough support of the lath

Old 08-17-14, 09:30 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Please cut through the whole thing whatever it is until you find plywood, if there is plywood or a hollow space if that is what you run into. Then report what you have and we can tell you difinitively what your best option is. A picture of the cross section of what you cut out will be helpful. I want to know for sure you have 6/8 material to hold the stone and not just some foam.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: