Siding rotting at patio

Old 08-16-14, 03:23 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Siding rotting at patio

I am sure this is on here somewhere but though I would put a new post just to ask specifically.

So the question: we had a mushroom growing between the concrete and house side. When I pulled it out I noticed about 1/2 to one inch from the concrete up is soft, rotted. Not sure what to do about it. Never put two and two together but all winter the patio is covered in snow and ice and any rain comes from this direction and always gets wet so water sits there all the time. I should have sealed it or caulked it but never thought of it. Was not sure if I did it now it would stop it, I don't think rotting wood "grows" or continues if it is sealed and dried out does it. Or are we going to have to get regular normal siding, not the wood crap?

Just curious peoples thoughts.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  42.9 KB

Old 08-16-14, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
It kind of looks from the picture like someone poured the concrete right up to the siding, and if so the siding actually goes below grade, which is never good. So one good thing to figure out is where the bottom plate of the wall is in relation to the grade outside. If there's a window in the wall that would make it a lot easier to figure out.

If the sidewalk is higher than the interior floor, the best thing to do might be to simply caulk it with a very large bead of sealant, such as Vulkem 116. It will remain flexible and provided you don't have a "lot" of frost heave in the winter, it will help keep moisture out.

The more complicated solution would involve cutting out about 4" of siding, then flashing the wall- caulking the flashing to the cement- then replacing the siding you cut out with a trim board that is more rot resistant... slipping it under a z-flashing that goes behind the siding above. PVC is the best trim choice, but the red color might be too dark to be used on Azek. A SW paint representative would be able to tell you if they can mix a vinyl-safe paint in that color while keeping the paint LRV (light reflective value) of 55 or higher.

Old 08-16-14, 08:54 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Got the perfect storm there for rot and insect damage.
That type siding never should have been within 6" of grade.
A slab never, ever should have been pored up against any siding!
Should have been an expansion gap between the siding and the slab.
There is no great way to fix this with all the building 101 errors.
About the best you can do is to snap a line at least 5-3/4" up from the slab and along the slab to cut that siding out.
Try and pry the siding out enough to slide in a strip of Z moulding.
Add storm and ice shield, then add 1 X 6 vinyl lumber.
I would also spend the money to get a real termite treatment.
That way there going to drill into that slab to inject a termicide because your stuck with wood still going to be below grade.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: