Installing outdoor light fixture on vinyl siding

Old 08-22-14, 08:49 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing outdoor light fixture on vinyl siding

We bought our home recently with existing vinyl siding and the porch light by the back door is missing. All we have is the vinyl trim around where it used to be, with the wires sticking out of a hole in a small vinyl panel. I believe the trim is actually a snap-in piece, but I'm hesitant to force it without having a clue how it fits in and I am hoping to be able to remove it without breaking off any snaps that secure the trim or box. Does anyone have a hint how I can accomplish that?

Old 08-22-14, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 793 Votes on 730 Posts
It's really hard to see it from where i'm sitting. Can you post a picture?

It sounds like you are describing a vinyl mounting block. If so, the trim ring just pushes on/pulls off of the block... nothing will break. There should be a metal electrical box mounted in the middle of that block so that the fixture can mount to something solid. Lights should not be screwed right to the vinyl.

Old 08-26-14, 05:00 PM
V
Sorry to be a little slow to respond, been a little busy around here. I finally had a chance to go back out and look at it again. I was able to pull off the trim ring, but now there's a vinyl box with a flange that goes behind the siding. Right now it's looking like I can either remove some siding, enlarge the hole in the middle of that vinyl where the wires come out enough for the mount on the light, or cut the flange enough to access the electrical box behind it.

Name:  IMAG1875.jpg
Views: 26938
Size:  16.1 KB

Old 08-26-14, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
That's what I expected to see. I would stuff the wires inside and hold up a round or octagon electrical box and trace around it, then use a tin snips (offset left or right turning) and cut a circle in the mount for a metal receptacle box. The metal receptacle is what the wire should be clamped to, and the light will then be solidly affixed to the receptacle, not the vinyl mount.

Old 08-26-14, 10:29 PM
V
Sounds good, so I'll go with enlarging the hole. I think I have some tin snips around here, but if nothing else I'll mark the line for the hole and score it a few times with a utility knife to cut through the vinyl.

Old 08-27-14, 07:10 AM
Group Moderator
Measure the depth of the hole so that you get the right depth of electrical box. If needed, you can shim the wall out a little if the box isn't exactly the right depth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: