Staining Cedar Shake

Old 09-04-14, 02:52 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining Cedar Shake

I’ve hired a contractor to stain my cedar hand split shingles. I initially wanted to go with a semi-transparent stain but decided to go with a solid after the pressure washing/cleaning did not remove all of the dark areas. The painting contractor is recommending one coat of an oil based primer and one coat of solid arborcoat stain (all Benjamin Moore products to be used). I spoke with the contractors paint distributor who said it would be best to go with one coat of primer and one finished arborcoat solid stain. He said this application would be better in the long run as the solid arborcoat stain is self-priming. In addition he said there would be no scraping involved when I go to restain in 5-7 years (just a power-wash and stain) will all that will be required). I’d like to know if I should push to get two coats of finished solid stain or will the one be sufficient? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-14, 02:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
How does he intend to apply the stain? I agree with the oil primer and solid stain, 1 coat of stain is usually sufficient.

Old 09-04-14, 07:07 PM
F
Great…thanks Mark. I was initially hung up on the traditional approach of 1 coat prime/2 coats finished but the products today are so much better requiring only 1 finished coat with of course a good primer and clean surface. I hear good things about the arborcoat stain. He is going to spray, back-roll and brush the stain. He is also going to tint the oil based primer to the color of the finished stain.

Old 09-05-14, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a plan

While I would agree that 2 coats of latex paint is normally better than 1, solid stain is a little different and 1 coat of stain over the primer is probably best.

Old 09-05-14, 11:26 AM
F
awesome...thanks for your input mark...

Old 09-06-14, 05:18 AM
F
One quick follow-up. I have a mahogany deck that I am also staining. Told my painter that I do not want it the same solid color as the house. I was thinking of going with the Cabot Australian Timber Oil product. Would l like to know if you have used the product and if so what your opinion is of it. Thanks FC

Old 09-06-14, 05:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've used a good bit of Cabot's stains and they preform well. I don't have any specific recollections about that particular stain I don't think I've ever stained any exterior mahogany.

Old 09-06-14, 06:14 AM
F
Roger that….thanks again Mark. FC