Worst HardiPlank Install Ever?

Old 09-05-14, 10:45 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Worst HardiPlank Install Ever?

House next door is being flipped. Bought by an investment group 16 months ago. The 'fly by night' renovation crew is finally putting up the siding (over 60 yr old masonite 'brick' siding, but thats another story...

I'm a GC and I've been doing Hardi for about 6 yrs now. I started with my house, used tyvek, 3/8 EPS foil-backed GreenGuard Fan-fold sheets, then 8 1/2 lapped HardiPlank and Azek PVC Trim. It was a learning experience on my own house, but now I'm pretty good at it.

The said 'guys next door' are installing the smaller planks, over non-taped tyvek (why bother, right?) over the 60 yr old crappy cardboard masonite. Get this, they are hanging it fine, using the spacer clamps and all, then they are face-nailing every board after they hang it. Then to add insult to injury, they are caulking up the bottom joints. I give it 2 yrs before it starts to buckle, and by that time, there will likely be lots of mold growing as well. What a nightmare. Oh, also, no flashing around any of the windows (they used replacements in the old rotting frames), and obviously they did not fold in the tyvek around the frames. Total disaster waiting to happen.

My question: as a reputable contractor, do I offer any information on the renovation to prospective buyers? I want to yell at these guys, but they are not very professional and it would be reducing myself to their level. It's been difficult watching all this take place for over a year. I had to tell somebody!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-14, 10:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Need a permit for siding in your area? If so, I'd talk to the AHJ.

Old 09-05-14, 11:36 AM
D
Thanks!

Permits are not required for siding or windows in my local jurisdiction (Alexandria City, VA). Permits, as we know, protect the public from shoddy work. Not in this instance.

The ownership group are naive at best, and know little to nothing about any trades. They all drive new Mercs and such, have hired cheap labor, and are focused on their margins. The renovation contractors have been living off this job, and they use the full sized dumpster in the driveway to service/stage their various neighborhood projects. I hate to mention it, but they are all Central American immigrants. I've no beef with folks who work hard to make a living, but there needs to be more oversight. The contractors actually used the previous owner's contact information to file for the permits they needed (Framing, electrical, oddly enough, no plumbing). The inspectors around here are mostly out to collect permit fees, as far as I can tell. I cannot stand seeing bad work done right under my nose, and little I can do about it, ya know?

For context, most all the houses on my street are Sears Kit homes, circa 1918. Full dimension lumber, real 2x12 joists that you can hardly drive a nail into. Solid build quality. Lots of gentrification has occurred in the 15yrs we've been here. I'm beginning to dislike the newest wave of real estate speculators.

Old 09-05-14, 12:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I don't know that there is much you can do about shoddy workmanship or inferior materials when it's a job you aren't hired for. I've always prided myself in being a top notch painter and while it irks me to see a shoddy paint job, at the same time I know those jobs make mine look even better. I wouldn't be shy about giving my opinion of the work if asked but I wouldn't go out of my way to voice it [unasked]

Old 09-05-14, 12:22 PM
D
certainly, I'd only give an opinion if prompted. I always tried to engage neighbors when house-shopping. Nothing like local info. You are right, of course about good work standing on its own. This particular shoddy work is not going to show until a few years down the road. I feel bad already for my potential new neighbors. We put up with a lot of heartache from the last ones, who did not take care of their property at all. That was reflected in the off-market sale, at about 70% of local market value. If they are installing HardiPlank so poorly, one can only be suspect about the quality of ANY of their work.

I know, a bit of a rant, but I had to get this off my chest. Thanks for the comments.

Old 09-05-14, 01:11 PM
I would talk to the owners. If they know you can do a better job and preserve the integrity and historic value of their investment, they may buy off on it.
I don't know if you need or want the work, but I'd bring it up.
They may be convinced they're getting quality work at a decent price, not realizing this will cost them much more in the future.
This is not to mention liability, such as extending an existing circuit by placing wire nuts in wall and burying it.

Old 09-05-14, 01:21 PM
D
The current owners are an investment group of 4-5 folks. They only want to get the thing on the market and make their money. The 'new' owners may or may not be wise enough to seek some type of home warranty for an agreed upon period of time. Esp as it's a total gut-job rehab. On the surface, every things going to look shiny during a walk-thru. Perhaps, a really good home inspector will pick up on the siding...perhaps.

Old 09-05-14, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Yeah, IMO the only people you should talk to are the investors. "Thought you should know about the crappy work that the crew you hired is doing... that house won't sell looking like that..." that sort of thing.

Old 09-06-14, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I know it is a rant, but it would be interesting to see some pictures of their handiwork.

Old 09-06-14, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,046 Votes on 970 Posts
Interesting post. These was an episode of holmes on homes on recently where the tyvek was not wrapped around or under the windows. The planking looked fairly good but underneath was all moldy and the OSB was completely rotted in many places....especially under doors and windows.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-06-14 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-06-14, 01:03 PM
D
that is exactly what is going to happen here, they even took off the EPS foam board that the Sears Vinyl Siding people so thoughtfully put up when they did the house last yearno taped seams, but hey, at least they had the right idea! This is going to be a moisture management nightmare.

Name:  IMAG0223.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  39.5 KB

Old 09-06-14, 01:06 PM
D
upper window

upper window, whadda mess

Name:  IMAG0227.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  37.8 KB