Siding Water Damage

Old 09-07-14, 07:41 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding Water Damage

Hello All:

I bought a 30-year old house that has a new wooden deck on the back. The problem is that there is a horizontal base-board (trim?) on the bottom of the siding before the slab foundation where water is getting in and causing the trim to peel up and rot. See attached pics.

I'd appreciate any advice on the best way to fix this. Should I just get rid of the trim? Rain water splashes up on the trim board and is causing the paint to peel. When the house was purchased, paint was fresh and prevented any water coming in but obviously this won't work long-term.

thanks,

Johnny D.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-14, 08:55 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do you have gutters at the eave line? The siding appears to be masonite, not the best material to overlie with trims which can trap moisture. I would remove trim and get things well dried out prior to re painting . If no gutters, install them.

Old 09-07-14, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
I agree that overlaying trim on top of a masonite type of siding is almost always a bad idea. But since the damage has already been done I don't think taking it off is probably an option at this point. Sometimes that trim is added to cover up rotten siding that is starting to look bad. I think about all you can do it nail that trim back tight and then run a heavy bead of sealant on top to prevent water from going behind. It won't be long and that siding will need to be replaced so I imagine you just want to get by with it as long as possible. So I would keep all cracks caulked up and painted... doing regular maintenance to make sure it doesn't get away from you and get a lot worse.

Old 09-07-14, 12:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
I like to run a bead of caulk behind the wood just before it's nailed back up and then finish the caulk job. IMO that does a better job of sealing it and the better it's sealed, the less chance there is getting water damage behind it.

Old 09-07-14, 04:52 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No I don't have gutters and it's a two story drop so the water probably splashes up pretty bad during rain. Even before the paint cracked, I noticed that the siding around a nearby faucet and electrical outlet is mushy which could've been the previous owner covering up some rot.

There are some places where the siding behind the trim appears to be receding so if I decide to salvage the trim I hope caulking prior to re-nailing will help make it stick. Thanks for the pointers and let me know if there is anything else that may help. I'm afraid that with the condition of the siding and the age of the house it might be a good idea to replace it all sometime in the next few years.

Old 09-08-14, 03:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Moisture damage is a big issue with masonite siding [and why it's no longer used] It will last forever if if never gets wet but it must be oil primed when installed, all sunk nail heads filled and then kept well painted! Repair what you can and then start saving for new siding.

almost forgot welcome to the forums Johnny!