Stucco Help!

Old 09-09-14, 05:30 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stucco Help!

I'm buying a house and before the VA will back the loan, they want this taken care of (see attachment). I'm thinking it's cosmetic and that I could just clean it up and paint over it, right? Or do you think it's a bigger problem that's going to need some patch work? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  stucco2.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  54.2 KB
Name:  stucco1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  46.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-14, 03:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Welcome to the forums Chris!

While paint might make it less noticeable, it needs to have stucco added in a manner to replicate the existing stucco finish. Before applying the stucco you need to make sure any loose stucco is removed and the scratch coat is clean.

Old 09-10-14, 03:38 PM
T
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
How much of this is there? Only what you show or is there a lot more? I attack it vigorously with a floor scraper. You can't hurt the good stucco. Wash it with a dilute muriatic acid solution and immediately before it has a chance to dry, rinse it thoroughly with water from the hose. Paint the exposed area with a liquid bonding agent like Weld Crete by Larsen's Products. There are other brands. Get some exterior stucco finish. The same color and spread on a tight coat and float it with a sponge float to flatten it out and make it flush with the existing. If there is a lot of it then spray it with a hopper gun and apply the knockdown texture. If what you show is all there is then mix up some of the same material and flick it on with a whisk broom to get the background texture then add the knockdown.

Old 09-11-14, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you drag the pointed end of a geologist's pick hammer over the stucco surface, you can tell by the sound where there's still loose stuff that needs to be removed. The thinner it (the debonded material) is, the higher-pitched the sound.

Don't be tempted to cheat on the repairs--while most VA inspectors may not be the sharpest bricks in the load, most of them will probably know the difference between paint and stucco.

Old 09-12-14, 04:07 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
fix the damned thing as you want & get it past the va you'd let a $100 fix hold up buying your family's home ?

look, the guys are correct in their responses but, for you, time is of the essence,,, there's time to do it over & do it right once you own it but, right now, expediency trumps the other,,, then again, that's just me,,, its YOUR place - you do as you wish !

pay attn to what they offered when its time to repair it correctly

Old 09-12-14, 04:57 PM
T
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Some fixes preclude other fixes. To paint this will make it more difficult to do it with stucco in the future.
Suit yourself. A bag of stucco finish is cheaper than a gallon of paint and the fix would only take a couple hours.