Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How's my plan for painting old wood siding and stucco?

Old 09-15-14, 12:54 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to paint the exterior of my house soon, and wanted to see if I had my ducks in a row.

Home is stucco primarily with old wood siding on the second floor and add-on kitchen.

Stucco: Appears to have been tinted originally (yellow), not painted. I was planning to power wash it, then prime it with SW Loxon Masonry Primer, then adding a top coat of SW Superpaint or SW A-100. This sound good? Any opinions on the top coat? Planning to roll the entire job with 1-1/4" lambswool covers.

Wood: A lot of the wood has multiple layers of paint, some layers that were painted over chipped paint. I plan to strip everything. The main question I have here is what primer to then use? I was thinking about the Zinsser 123 or should I use a straight oil base exterior primer? For top coat, I was hoping to use the same as the top coat being used on the stucco.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-14, 01:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your plan looks good to me (though I would definitely use an oil based primer on any raw wood) but Marksr is our paint guru so hang tight until he's had a chance to respond.

Old 09-15-14, 02:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If an oil base primer is warranted I'd use SWP's A-100 oil base primer. Let us know how the siding cleans up. I'd use SuperPaint for the top coat on both substrates.

Old 09-16-14, 06:11 AM
T
Thanks for the feedback!

On the stucco, would there be any advantage/disadvantage in just using a straight elastomeric paint? I don't usually like Valspar, but I've heard the Valspar Duramax Elastomeric for masonry is good. I know SW also has their SherLastic elastomeric. I guess I'm curious about these as overall cost would be lower than using Loxon Prime + top coat, but I don't want to do it if it's an inferior choice.

Old 09-16-14, 08:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Elastomeric paints are generally good. They do more than just coat the masonry as they hide minor cracks and help to waterproof the masonry. They don't cover as much per gallon so it usually winds up costing more than standard paint.

I don't know a lot about Valspar's modern day coatings but back in the 70's their exterior oil base paint was thought to be some of the best. I've painted a lot of wood exteriors with it back in the day. I've always been a little skeptical about coatings sold at a big box because they tend to stock coatings based more on low price than quality.

Old 09-16-14, 11:47 AM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Think about fog coating or redashing the stucco. Granted you have limited color choices compared to paint but you can match the paint to the stucco. This will be cheaper than painting the stucco and I still think it is better not to paint stucco. Some where here recently is my rationale.

Old 09-16-14, 07:17 PM
T
Thanks again for the advice fellas.

Unfortunately I don't think fog coating is an option for us as my wife wants to go from the current soft yellow color to a bluish gray.

OK, so after doing some calculations on how much of each product I'll need, it looks like my most costly product is going to the be the Loxon stucco and masonry primer due to the coverage estimate on it being only 80 sq ft per gallon for stucco.

Marksr or anyone else - do you know of another good stucco primer out there? Stucco accounts for about 60% of my substrate materials yet the stucco primer alone is looking to account for 40% of the total project cost.

Old 09-17-14, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The old standby for priming unpainted stucco was to take the finish paint, thin it 10% and use it for the primer. If the stucco was previously painted you probably don't need a primer but you must make sure any chalk [oxidation] is removed as paint won't adhere long term to chalk. When the chalk can't be washed off you need to either spray the stucco with a masonry conditioner or add Flood's EmulsaBond to the 1st coat of latex paint or primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: