Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How to best seal 1/2" gap between window frame and rough opening?

Old 09-16-14, 11:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am building a house with wood reclaimed windows. I have a 1/2" gap between the windows and the rough opening, and I'm wondering the best way to seal it properly? I am using MgO cement board (like hardibacker) as the sheathing on the outside of the studs instead of plywood. I am not using a house wrap, but rather sealing the MgO board with a silicone-based sealant. Then I am applying furring strips to create a rain screen system. Outside of the furring strips I am using reclaimed T&G redwood siding. I am considering using housewrap only around the windows and on the corners of the house. I'll probably use some sort of peel and stick for the window flashing tape. But, what about that 1/2" gap? Cover it with L-shaped sheet metal, and caulk all points of contact? Thanks in advanced for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-14, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The gap can be filled with minimally expanding foam to create an insulation barrier. I don't understand your reluctance to use a WRB under your siding. MgO from what I have read is not structural and is not approved as a substitute for OSB or plywood. In addition, wherever you buy it, be aware it is probably going to be made in China, and of an inferior quality, based on other products we have witnessed being imported.

You may want to research your methods a little more to protect your investment. Proper house wrap and window/door flashing is quite important, and id overlooked can cause problems if not done correctly.