Bottom of cedar siding deterioration over patio

Old 09-17-14, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bottom of cedar siding deterioration over patio

Hello. First time poster. Looking for advice as to how I should remedy the siding problem at my house. I live in MN. House was built in '81, has vertically oriented cedar siding. Most of the siding on the house is in good shape, except for in a few areas right at the base of the siding where there are some areas of rot/deterioration. We moved in about 4 years ago and it appears someone previously replaced small sections of the siding previously.

As in the pictures, this is over a cement slab against the back of our garage. The siding comes down to within 2" of the slab. The slab is graded well so that water drains away from the house. There is about 2" additional of overlap of the siding on the blocks. This wall is south facing. The overhang about this wall is not very far out, so the rain hits the patio & gets the siding wet.

I pulled off a few small sections of siding to see what it looked like underneath. Here are pictures. The width of a piece of siding is 7 inches. It is 1 inch thick & 1/2 inch thick where it is cut. In a few places the plywood wall is a little soft right at the base.

I'm not even where to start as I am a beginner with this stuff. It seems that replacing what has been there won't fix the problem. The short roof overhand & concrete slab aren't going anywhere. I realize the patio being 2 inches from the slab is not ideal. Would cutting the bottom foot or so of siding all the way across off & the placing a horizontal piece all the way across make sense? Should I replace the plywood underneath? Is there a "name" for the type of siding I have? Appreciate any guidance, thanks.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-14, 08:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any wooden siding should have been at least 6" above grade.
The way I'd fix it is to snap a level line 5-3/4" up from the bottom of the siding.
Pry out the siding a tiny amount from the bottom.
Use solid stain to seal the end grains with two coats.
Slide in a piece of aluminum Z moulding then install 1 X 6 PVC lumber.
Any joints need to end in the middle of the studs.
Never just butt the two pieces together, always cut them at a 45 deg. and over lap the joint.
You can use trim head screws or stainless steel siding nails to attach the PVC, counter sink and fill the holes with 50 year Latex caulking.