Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Want to change cedar on stucco before painting. Is this ok?

Old 09-20-14, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am doing lots of renovations to an old house. Next step is to paint the exterior of the house. I want to renovate the look of the house by removing some of the wood it has. See the picture :

Name:  IMG_2168 (Small).jpg
Views: 4146
Size:  36.0 KB

So I am not sure what material it is done from but I think it is some kind of stucco panels, I am guessing the wood is to cover the lines in between the panels and not to hold them in place... am I right?

If so, I am thinking I can take the wood (marked in red) and use sanded quickrete to fill the gaps between panels .. Is this reasonable? doable? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-14, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
If it's real stucco your plan would work to cover up any damage but if it's 4x8 panels that have a stucco like texture, I have my doubts about any patching staying put long term. It would be better to remove the 1x's and apply new siding. You could paint the 1xs the same color as the stucco and they wouldn't be as prominent.

Old 09-22-14, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
IF you have real stucco and IF it was lathed then the trim installed then stuccoed this is easy and your idea is good. If this is the case then use a bonding agent to the edges of the existing work. There is a good chance that the stucco is not the same thickness on either side of the strips.

IF you have siding panels this is not a good idea. Try something else.

BUT IF the sticks were added on top of the stucco brown coat then the finish applied, even better all you have to do is match the texture and fill it out flush with the existing.

Old 09-22-14, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
I spent a big chunk of my childhood in Germany and a lot of the buildings there have that look - personally, I'd leave it alone but it's not my house.

Old 09-24-14, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Thanks all for the responses.. I will have to take one piece of wood and check if is stucco or panels.

AMmitch17 Thanks! tell my wife the same

She likes a more modern style and she thinks this one looks like Ranch.. Problem is, it is not clear to me when she say "Ranch... ".. but you know who is the boss...