Holes In Vinyl Siding

Old 09-25-14, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Holes In Vinyl Siding

I have a few 1" holes in my siding where water spigots were removed and another 1.5" hole where a pvc pipe was removed. I filled the holes with expandable foam and put metal plates over the holes on the interior of the sillplate where they exited from the basement.

On the outside on the otherhand it is ugly, I have cut the foam flush with the siding and spray painted it.

How do I go about matching full panels of vinyl siding?

Alternately, how could I repair just these small holes?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-14, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You won't repair them. The best thing to do is remove an offending piece by unzipping it and lifting it off the nail heads to preserve positioning, and take a 3' piece to a siding supplier. They may can match the siding with the exception of sun fade.

Old 09-25-14, 05:31 AM
What do you mean by "unzipping"?

I am unclear how to remove a section without damaging.....

My other idea was to try to match the color and cutting small swatches out of a new piece and riveting it over the hole... I suppose that will look just as screwy no?

ps= By removing a piece, do I have to be concerned about rain hitting that section while exposed?

Old 09-25-14, 05:53 AM
Received 89 Votes on 82 Posts
There is a tool you use to remove siding available at most hardware stores.

Old 09-25-14, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
Vinyl siding is nailed to the house on the top edge so the piece above it covers the nails. The bottom edge is curved to hook onto the piece of siding below. They make a special tool to slide up under the siding and catch the bottom edge, pull down and unhook or unzip it. Then you can lift it up and pull the nails from the piece below. You can also push/pull down on the siding and at the same time smack the bottom of the siding hard with the palm of your hand to get it to pop free.

Hopefully your house is white and hopefully you have a few extra pieces of the original siding lying around. All vinyl siding fades to some degree. White does not show it as bad and replacing a piece works well. Darker sidings can fade noticeably and it may end up looking worse replacing a whole piece if your siding is a color and has faded dramatically. In which case living with the hole may be a better option.

Old 09-25-14, 05:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
The previous owner of my son's house took scrap pieces of vinyl and pop riveted them over a few holes in the siding. I didn't notice them when he bought the house, I only saw them when I washed the siding. Not saying that's better than replacing panels, just that it's another option.

Old 09-25-14, 06:07 AM
Its kind of tricky in one spot as there are electrical boxes attached to the siding, so full 6'? sections will not be able to be replaced whole. I would have to cut and patch.... they are 2 fake board thick (if that makes sense).... are all siding like this universal? Meaning I can attach different brands?

ANother option is taking equally as faded and old siding from the back of the garage and transfer to the house.... same material.

Old 09-25-14, 07:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
It would be best to take some old siding for the repair. Siding color both fades and changes slightly from one manufacturing run to the next. Install the new pieces where they will be less offensive.

Old 09-25-14, 10:04 AM
That's exactly what I did this morning. I bought a new 12' pieces and removed a half damaged piece from the back of the garage. Installed the new piece there, it doesn't match at all but its at the bottom of the back of the garage.

With the half damaged piece I was able salvage 6' of it for my repairs on the house.

However, even that portion from the garage faded different than the house so there is a slight difference!!

Anyway, thanks for the tips... it was much easier than I thought.... that is because I bought the siding tool mentioned.... that made it a breeze (much easier than I remember doing it before with a screwdriver!!!).