wood is decyaing from water and ice/snow

Old 09-29-14, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wood is decyaing from water and ice/snow

Some bannisters have been exposed to the weather for around 10 years without any maintenance. The wood was treated so it's on ok condition but the top of the wood, the part of the bannister that probably has rain, ice, and snow on it for long periods has started to crack/fall out.
I would like to sand these down and re-varnish them to protect them but what should I do with the top of the bannister? Can I fill these with wood filler and varnish them or would a better waterproof product be more suitable?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-14, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You know, your profile is not complete. Can you fill in the blanks so we at least know what region you are from. Weather conditions are so varied, giving advice for one area would not work in another.

Old 09-29-14, 01:51 PM
Edit function doesn;t seem to be working for me but it's Canada, Quebec.
Think -40 degrees C in the winter and + 30 degree sin the summer

Old 09-29-14, 01:58 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wood fillers, even epoxy ones don't always stain well. If you epoxy the boogers, sand them down well, it will extend the life of the handrail, but varnish won't hold up to the elements. A good deck stain, either in solid or transparent would look best and last longer.

Old 09-29-14, 02:05 PM
There's a method here that seems to add the stain to the filler before application?
How to Stain Wood Filler | Home Guides | SF Gate

I'd imagine it's still hard to get a match between the filler and the actual wood?

Old 09-29-14, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
Wood fillers don't fare all that well on a deck and finishing or filling cracks in a deck is totally different than the hardwood inside your house. Often it's best to either live with the cracks or replace those boards. Pics showing what you have would be helpful http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-29-14, 05:03 PM
Some photos attached here. You can see the wood decaying on the top of the railing and cracks appearing in the wood, which would allow more moisture in.

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  51.1 KB
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  41.1 KB

Old 09-30-14, 06:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
All I see is weathering of the wood. Is any of the wood soft/decayed? You should be able to just clean the wood and apply a fresh coat of stain. It looks like it currently has a toner or translucent stain.

I normally use a bleach/water solution to clean with. Mix it half and half or weaker, but not weaker than 30% bleach, let it set/work but not dry and then rinse well.

If I did anything with the gap between the bottom of the railing and the concrete it would be to fill it with caulking BUT if water is able to drain thru that gap - I'd leave it open.

Old 09-30-14, 07:40 PM
Going to have to kill that black mold growing on it.
No way would I ever have used poly, or varnish on outside hand rails.
Only one that may hold up is Bristol Finish, but at $17.00 USD a qt. not very cost effective.
Sure does not look like pressure treated wood in those pictures.
It gets sanded, not filled! But have to kill the mold first or your just grind the mold spores into the wood.

Old 10-01-14, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Different brands of PT lumber have different coloring from the PT process, I've seen and stained PT wood that color before. A bleach/water solution should kill/remove the mildew shown in the pics.

Spar poly/varnish is prone to turn white and peel after prolonged exposure to the elements which makes me believe that is an exterior stain currently on the railing.

Old 10-01-14, 09:37 AM
The top can be sanded down but there are also cracks on the side - have to fill those to stop water getting in? Should I use filler or something mor waterproof for that?

Old 10-01-14, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Because of the temp and humidity changes it's difficult to get fillers to hold up long term on decks and railings. I normally leave them be, maybe try to flood some extra stain into the crack. While PT wood is prone to cracking, it normally doesn't do any harm.