Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How to correctly install wall vent cap through vinyl siding?

Old 10-09-14, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This is the wall cap I have:
Everbilt 4 in. Louvered Vent Hood - White-BLH4WHD6 at The Home Depot

I would like to stick with a white colored vinyl cap so it doesn't stand out like the metal caps do but I am open to other suggestions. I have Crane Carolina Sands Aspen White siding.

I have read about a few different ways to install this:
1) Put a hole through the wall and screw and caulk the cap to the wall. (wouldn't this cause expansion/contraction issues with the siding?)
2) Use a vinyl block that matches the profile of my siding and install the cap through the block (wouldn't this still cause expansion/contraction issues since the vent cap is ultimately screwed through the block into the wall?)
3) Use a vinyl block and cut a square through the siding and butt the siding up to the block (this seems complicated but least likely to cause expansion issues?

What do you guys recommend? Also would it be an issue to put some mesh in the vent pipe before I stick it in the cap so bugs can't get through? This is for a bathroom vent.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-14, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
The best scenario would have been to buy a dryer vent that is made to work with vinyl siding, like this one:

Cellwood White Hooded Dryer Vent-DRYERHD04H at The Home Depot

To use the one you already purchased, you would want to buy a 2 piece vinyl mounting block. Remove the vinyl siding in the area you need to cut the hole in. Cut the hole, then center the nail flange of the mounting block over the hole and nail it on. (At this point you usually want to flash the top of the mount by slitting the housewrap and putting a flap of flashing behind the housewrap and over the top fin of the mount.)

Now you cut a corresponding hole in the lid of the mount, and snap it on. Then slide your 4" duct into the hole and screw it to the mounting block. The vinyl siding that you removed would then need to be cut out to fit around this new mounting block, and you'd reinstall it.

If you decide to return the vent and use the other one I linked to, the instructions would pretty much be the same except you would substitute that vent (with the snap trim ring) for the mounting block.

Old 10-18-14, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My house does not have house wrap. It has plywood then foam board then siding. Would I just flash the vent that you linked to the foam board even though there is no house wrap?

Old 10-19-14, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
Yes in your case the foam is your only WRB so you would tape the flange to the foam with a butyl window and door flashing tape... most likely anyway. I can't see the foam so I'm guessing at its type. There are about 4 or 5 types of foam, but the flashing tape will stick pretty well to most of them.... provided its clean.