Pandora's box? (siding/water drain question)

Old 10-14-14, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pandora's box? (siding/water drain question)

OK, might not be that bad but it will require some work.

My wife and I bought a house and based on the inspection suggestions I decided to expose the siding that was buried underground to the recommended 8 inches.
I did not finish it this weekend but I noticed that it was buried much more than I expected (it was right at the vinyl siding level.
Here are 4 pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ZGJWB#0

The good news is that the dirt was absolutely dry and the overhanging roof keeps the water away (picture 2). There seems to be some rot on the wood siding below the vinyl siding line but my main concern is doing something right and before winter comes.

Should I go for a French drain? Or just fill it with gravel? Or something in between?

Any ideas and feedback is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-14, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what the best plan of attach would be Is the part of the house at the top of the hill an addition? It looks like fill dirt was brought in for some insane reason. If possible it would be a good idea to excavate it all so none of the wood has earth contact. Short of that you'd either replace or cover the wood with something that can withstand earth contact. Some of the others should have better suggestions for you so stay tuned.

Old 10-15-14, 09:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks to me like someone was trying to build a ladder for the termites to make it easier for them.
I'm not seeing any form of water proofing or French drain on that foundation.
I would have ran two lines starting at that thing that looks like an addition, one for the French drain and one for a gutter and had it run down that slope from the inside corner.
Water proofed the foundation.
And attached a piece of piece of 1 X 6 PVC at the base of that sloped wall, a strip of Z moulding then J moulding to end that siding into.

Old 10-15-14, 11:47 AM
Thank you both!
The addition might have been a porch that they converted to a room. Neighbors told us that in the past they had a jakuzzi in the addition (hence that fan exhaust on picture 2 upper right). I don't know why they filled this side with dirt. I will take a better picture of the cement where the audition starts (did not look that great). Maybe they used the dirt as a way to add support?
When I go home I will take pictures from further away to give an idea of what happens at the end of the slope and draw/post here what I understand from joecaption1 recommendations.

Old 10-17-14, 09:14 AM
The weather here was bad and there was a lot of things to do at work and also inside the house.
I took few more pictures that show better the angle of the slope and also I tried to illustrate what I understood from joecaption1.

Picture 1 - the two lines that join the gutter and the future French drain. I don't know how to water proof the foundation, do I pour some sort of chemical to make the dirt less permeable? Because digging everything seems overkill.

Picture 2 and three show the slopes.

Picture 4 and 5 show the crappy job they did, as far as I can tell.

Picture 6 is the illustration about the Z-mouling. This this what you meant joecaption1?

Here is the new album: http://imgur.com/a/5BUCn#0

Cheers!

Old 10-17-14, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unfortunately there is no magic potion that you can pour on the foundation. Normally the foundation is 'waterproofed' prior to it being filled in with dirt. After the fact requires excavation and cleaning before you can waterproof the wall. Ideally you would excavate down to the footer, waterproof and then install the drain tile and gravel.

How deep is the footer on the addition?

Old 10-17-14, 09:52 AM
That's what I thought. The dirt is really dry though, the slope must have helped through the years.
The exposed part of the addition footer is about 10", 3" above ground and 7" below.

Old 10-17-14, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would think that code requires the footer to be 3' or more below grade in your location. Ideally you'd dig down so none of the wood is below grade but that might not be feasible as you don't want to undermine the addition's foundation I assume there is something you can use to cover the wood portion that is below grade or maybe replace that siding with something different - but I don't know what that would be

Old 10-19-14, 07:25 PM
Thank you marksr. What I plan on doing is having a support wall one side and at the bottom of it have a small French drain. The wall on one side will support the dirt and keep it away from the side of the building (there will be a V-shaped gap between the siding and the wall. Next spring I will see to get those wood tiles replaced/removed and have the vinyl siding extended to cover the exposed parts.

I feel like I need to take a week of work to finish several projects around the house.