Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for stronger commercial building siding.

Old 10-17-14, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have this warehouse building and one side is exposed to the street. It has some real thin metal corrugated siding. So thin you could probably cut it with scissors so I'm worried someone could easily break in. It's a kind of pole building and this wall has 8x8" poles every 6 feet or so with a few stringers from the top to bottom. What stronger material could I replace this siding with?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-14, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 236 Votes on 216 Posts
How much are you willing to spend?

Honestly buildings like that are really, really common. Your building is protected to some extent by being anonymous. Doing something special may attract unwanted attention. Also if you strengthen one side you are only slightly better off since the other sides would be of the same material.

In the end take comfort in that most criminals are not into extravagant plans and/or are lazy. They usually think a door or window are the only way into a building. Take whatever you would spend upgrading the siding and put it into your vacation account or use it to buy insurance. If someone really wants in they will get in.

Old 10-17-14, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not worried so much about criminals but neighborhood kids messing around with it. They already use it for a dodge ball wall.

Old 10-18-14, 03:54 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Take a look at higher end commercial panel suppliers like Centria. You can get 18 ga. panels from their standard lines and I seem to recall using a 16 ga. special order once on an industrial building. But think about what it will look like with one wall that's different from the others.

Old 10-18-14, 06:15 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Perhaps don't replace siding, what about having the inside sprayed with closed cell foam which would bond directly to the metal and stiffen the siding. If you want you could attach sheets of welded wire such as used in concrete to further increase security before spraying the foam.

Someone trying to cut through the metal will be discouraged when they hit the foam .