Exterior Shed Clading (in Irelands weather)

Old 10-18-14, 01:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior Shed Clading (in Irelands weather)

Hows it going DIY people. Im looking for a not to expencive duriable cladding for my shed build. So far iv looked at marrine ply (8' x 4' 25mm) which is prety expencive with a decent thickness. And treated shiplap at (25 x 175mm per L/M), which i plan on putting 11mm 8 x 4' OSB behind them aswell. They both work out around 400-450. if anyone has any effective weatherproofing material ideas, fire away Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-14, 08:32 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since this is mainly a US based site it's hard to know what's a available locally for you.
I do know marine plywood would be one of my last choices.
Anything wood is always going to be a mantaince issue.
We have no idea what look your going for so that needs to be factored in.
What's the house sided with?
Around here it's common to see vinyl or James Hardee siding on sheds.

Old 10-19-14, 12:43 PM
T
yea true. well its good to know marines out of the question. yea thats true thats one main reason im trying to find the right stuff. Since i was recommened shiplap by an irish builder, i think il go with some of that treated. Well the look im lookng for is something like the top half of this building but less beams showing and wooden shiplap between the beams Name:  Rural_railway_station_built_timber_framing_style.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  50.0 KB.

And my last main problem im hoping you could also help with, is bolting or using metal plates to hold the timber frame and each beam to a 8'' block ( non cavity) wall. With 2x8 timber on it for the frame to be tyed to like so.. Name:  aframing-floor-anchors.jpg
Views: 3583
Size:  37.3 KB Thanks

Old 10-20-14, 03:53 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Does this tie into your thread regarding the hole in the ground you dug and filled with concrete? Just curious. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/gr...ml#post2332402

Old 10-20-14, 09:25 AM
T
it is yea, the same project.

Old 10-21-14, 03:15 PM
T
just a quickie! does it matter if i use screws or nails for putting up the shiplap cladding?

Old 10-21-14, 03:57 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It doesn't matter if you use screws or nails, BUT it does matter that you use the correct screws or nails. Nails must be hot dipped galvanized siding nails with a small head and a twist. Screws must either be ceramic coated or otherwise rust proofed.

Old 10-21-14, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
If cement siding is available in your area, I would recommend that.

Old 10-22-14, 01:53 PM
T
perfect! il have to get some nails so. the ones i have rust and some already are from sitting there so long. and i looked into cement board to if thats the same thing? nice wood looking finish effect on some of them but i was told there a good bit dearer

Old 11-14-14, 06:53 PM
J
reckon i would use metal siding on a shed or garage. cement board is nice but heard water can affect it. i would use osb and roofing paper then siding.

Old 11-19-14, 06:22 AM
T
yea iv already bought the shiplap cladding. metal wood be good with a wood look finish. it was hard to find galvinized nails or hot dipped. but in the end i got galv clout nails that are like this, an inch and a half long Name:  galv n.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  2.7 KB
and was told they would do the job and not split the wood. what do u guys think ? i personally wouldnt of picked these if i hadent asked the guy in the shop, but anyway. thanks

Old 11-19-14, 06:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
That looks like a roofing nail, siding nails are narrower with a smaller head. I'm not convinced they won't split the wood siding but it shouldn't take long to find out

Old 11-24-14, 02:28 PM
T
yea thats what i was thinking. there more like tacks of some sort im nearly sure thell split, could be wrong. il be throwing up a pic or 2 tomorrow of the change in the build, into the other thread. not much difference but getting there