Can moldy CDX plywood be salvaged?

Old 11-28-14, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can moldy CDX plywood be salvaged?

I had a stack of 1/2" CDX raised off the ground about 4" by a bunch of bricks. I've been keeping the stack covered with plastic and a tarp. When I reached the bottom sheet, it was pretty moldy--like it had been peppered with the over-spray of black spray paint.

If I spread straight bleach on the entire surface of the back and front, do you think I could still use the sheet or is it a lost cause?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-14, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It's one sheet, right? Why mess with it?

From what I understand, bleach only kills the active mold and makes it look better. Spores are still there and will grow back if given the chance.

Toss it!

Old 11-28-14, 08:06 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
There are better products than bleach to kill mold and even if you were to use bleach you need to dilute it to at most 50% and more likely only 20%. Straight bleach WILL damage the wood so while it would kill the mold it would also destroy the wood in time.

I agree with Gunguy, toss it and and buy a new sheet. It isn't like 1/2 inch CDX is all that expensive.

Old 11-29-14, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Pure bleach will eat/destroy wood fibers Whenever cleaning mold/mildew off of wood it's best not to use a bleach/water mixture stronger than 50% and then it should be rinsed off before it dries! I normally use a 40-50% solution when cleaning decks/siding when prepping for paint/stain.

From your description it sounds like mildew which should clean up well. I'd let the application and the severity of the mold/mildew determine whether or not to replace the plywood.

Old 12-15-14, 07:26 PM
not sure about bleach and plywood have used it on 2x6 wood, no damage. but were it me and didn't want to buy new peice, would let it dry and sand it if it's not warped put a stain or primer on it. but is likely water has gotten inside plys.

Old 12-16-14, 09:12 AM
If you sand it be very very sure not to breathe in the dust. Probably safer to get rid of it.

Old 12-17-14, 08:04 PM
I have an update. I used a combination of JOMAX cleaner and bleach diluted in warm water. I scrubbed it with a fairly stiff brush, then rinsed it off.
Then I brought it into the garage so it could dry out well. That was about two weeks ago. It looks good now. There are a couple small areas that I probably missed, but it looks better than new.
Still, I don't want to take the chance and encase it under the siding. I think I'll probably use it for utility shelves or something and give it a few coats of paint.

Old 12-17-14, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Good choice. Just not worth taking the chance.

I think the mold issue may be overemphasized in some cases, but w/o testing for type and possible hazards, why take the chance.