Can't find similar siding - alternative solution?

Old 12-20-14, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't find similar siding - alternative solution?

I have been looking for similar siding to fix spots like this for weeks but have been unable to find anything close at local stores and online. The thought occurred to me that maybe I could apply a lot of wood putty and "comb" it before it dries and then paint it. Does that sound crazy?

Would there be a better substance than wood putty?

Any other suggestions welcome. I am obviously trying to avoid residing the whole house. Thank you in advance.

Name:  Siding.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  43.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-14, 10:00 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Fiber-Cement Siding: GAF WeatherSide

They sell similar shingles.

Old 12-20-14, 10:36 AM
Wow, that is awesome. Apparently I need to brush up on my Google-fu. Thank you very much for linking that product. Have a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-14, 06:58 PM
It may not be an issue for you, but I think the shingles shown with the vertical striations in them contain asbestos. The town I grew up in (central Wisconsin) had dozens of houses with the stuff, most having been built in the 30s and 40s. Most homeowners just covered it up with aluminum siding then, but because of the mesothelioma threat (if airborne particles are breathed in), I suspect many states today would require it be dealt with by a licensed remediation contractor.

Old 12-25-14, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I also believe those shingles are asbestos

Homeowners don't always fall under the same regs as contractors so you might be allowed to remove/dispose of it yourself. The main thing with asbestos is to contain all dust a debris. The main health threat is breathing the dust!!

Old 12-25-14, 04:53 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I don't recall the asbestos shingles using an under course of wood shingles. The under course is clearly wood and the remaining pieces of top course on the bottom right don't look like broken asbestos. I'm guessing it is a manufactured wood shingle that produced those straight lines as opposed to a split shingle with its typical variations.

I suppose they could have added the extra layer to give the thin asbestos shingles some depth, but all the homes I've worked on with the thin asbestos, they break in a different pattern, chunks.

Bud

Old 12-25-14, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I didn't notice the underlying layer of shingles

I used to paint a lot of asbestos shingle sided houses. Some had a straight line along the bottom of the course while others had the shingles alternating up and down. In the 70's and 80's I painted a lot of new houses that used masonite siding to get the same look but instead of individual shingles in came in pieces that were 8' or longer.

Maybe the OP will come back and give us a little history on the house to help verify.

Old 01-07-15, 01:09 AM
contractors need to be asbestos trained/certified/qualified/licensed whilst diy'er-h/o dble-bags it & carries it to the curb,,, contractors need to have paper-trail of possession & mtl must go to certied hazardous waste facility,,, h/o can stand on curb & watch garbage trk