Bay window rotted wood

Old 12-21-14, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bay window rotted wood

I've never done a repair like this and don't necessarily plan on it. I just wanted to see what was involved. Picture 1 shows the bay window with the problem areas circled in red. Picture 2 and 3 are close ups. How would one go about replacing the wood here? What is the best way to remove it, what type of wood do you use for replacement, should it be sealed up with caulking before paint? Would really like to understand what is involved.

Picture 1:
Name:  wood1.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  12.5 KB
Picture 2:
Name:  woodwork2.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  17.5 KB
Picture 3:
Name:  woodwork3.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  14.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-14, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If it were mine, it would depend on how deep the damage goes. If only on the surface, it can be probed out down to good wood, and filled with bondo type wood filler, sanded smooth, primed and painted.

If you are looking to replace it, the inside of the panel consists of base cap trim and can be removed individually. Yes, you will break one or more of them, but they are readily available at home centers or lumber yards. The board itself can be removed after cutting the paint seal all around and pulling the nails. Using a magnet and a cats paw you can locate and pull them, making it easier for the board to be removed without damaging the surrounding wood or the panel.

Old 12-21-14, 04:59 PM
Thanks Chandler.

After replacing the board and nailing in, would paintable caulking go around the seams?

Old 12-21-14, 05:06 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, a good acrylic latex caulk. Marksr will be along regarding the caulk and painting, as he is more into paint than I am.

Old 12-22-14, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Ideally you'd prime the wood prior to installation so you can coat all the edges. The wood should be primed before caulking. It's best to use an exterior oil base wood primer and latex house paint for the top coat. Use a siliconized acrylic latex caulk [it's paintable]

Old 12-22-14, 08:18 AM
I'd remove all the wood and replace with vinyl limber.
No more priming, painting, rot ever again.
One reason it may be rotting is there's not enough over hang on that roof so waters running down the face of the wall.
May want to consider adding a gutter.