Hardie Plank on angled side gable

Old 01-12-15, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardie Plank on angled side gable

I'll be ripping off rotted wood siding on a side gable. It meets the roof at an angle (see photo). I realize I have to wrap and flash. It's 50's era, so I'm pretty sure I'll find sheathing. Do I put the Hardie Plank starter strip along the roof line (red line on photo)?
Any other advice for a DIYer on this job?

Thanks!Name:  gable roof line1 edit.JPG
Views: 2580
Size:  8.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-15, 04:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No hardie on the angle. Just make sure you have good flashing and cut the hardie planks at the proper angle to keep them level and hold them about 3/4" or so from the flashing. You don't want the siding exposed to water and you want it to drain away from the siding. You should have step flashing under your shingles and up on the side for this continuity.

Old 01-12-15, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
No, your only piece of starter strip will be a little tiny triangle under the bottom edge of your very first piece at the bottom. Be sure you keep the siding 1 to 2" above the roofline as the mfg recommends in their instructions. (one tip is to just lay a 2x4 along the roof... if you want a 1 1/2" space... and use it as a guide to help you measure how long each piece should be) You would also be wise to prime- and paint- all the cut edges along the roof.

Old 01-12-15, 04:52 PM
Brant, you use that much of a gap on the angle? Just curious how it looks.

Old 01-12-15, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
I prefer 1", as long as the mfg allows it. One potential problem with a 1" gap is that if anyone puts on a 2nd layer of shingles it gets too tight.

Old 01-12-15, 05:56 PM
OK, we try to keep it in the 1" range, too, but never worry about future shingles, hoping they will have good sense to remove the old first

Old 01-12-15, 08:11 PM
Hardee needs 2" of gap from any solid surface per there install directions.
I use 1 X 4 vinyl lumber held up 1" from the shingles, a strip of Z moulding then the preprimed and painted Hardee siding.
Hardee was very clear install directions.

Old 01-13-15, 01:40 PM
Thanks! New question - Pre-finished or paint?

Is pre-finished hardie plank any better than primed, paint it yourself? Since I'm doing a small section, painting in advance isn't any big deal. But will the finish be as good? Yes, I use quality paints.

Old 01-13-15, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
IMO the factory finish isn't as good but a lot depends on the quality of the coating you use. The cut edges no longer have any coating so either way it's beneficial to coat the cuts!

Old 01-13-15, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Prefinished siding will have a warranty on the paint job. If you DIY and use a quality paint, it should also have a warranty- but through the paint company (i.e. SW Superpaint or Duration or Emerald) The caveat is that you will have to be sure the installation and priming and painting of any cuts done in the field, as well as the caulking used, will all be "variables" that could possibly affect any warranty.

Prepainting makes sense when blind nailing and when you have the exact color matched caulk (like OSI Quad) and factory touchup paint. Plus you have to be careful not to scuff it up when you're installing it. Some people prepaint their own before installing it.