Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How to attach last vinyl soffit piece in a closed rectangular area?

Old 01-19-15, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

There will be J-Channel on all four sides of the soffit material. I spent more time than I'd hoped centering and mounting my down lights, so I only had time to install one piece of the soffit material. It makes me wonder what I'll do when I reach the end though. I'm using the Certainteed T 3 1/3 panels and they are pretty stiff. I was unable to bend the material to get both ends in the J-channel, so I left one side of the J-Channel unattached at the far end of the rectangle. That allowed me to get the panel piece into the channel and slide it down to the other end.
That's all well and good until I get to the far end though.
What should I do there?

BTW. I posted another thread, "Attach vinyl J-Channel to 2x4 sub-fascia for soffit" where I included a photo if interested.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SturdyNail; 01-19-15 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-15, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Caulk inside the interlock on that last piece, then snap it into place. The silicone will hold it. If you can't bend the piece into the j-channels you are probably cutting the piece too long. Along with cutting the soffit a bit shorter, you should also be able to bend one j-channel down slightly to pull it open so that you can slip it in.

Old 01-19-15, 07:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A lot easier for anyone trying to answer the question if you'd post the picture here then expecting someone to go looking for another post.

Old 01-19-15, 08:15 PM
follow-up question & photo for Joe

@XSleeper said
Caulk inside the interlock on that last piece, then snap it into place.
Why will I need silicon? Won't the J-Channel hold it in place?Name:  J-Channel-ring.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  34.9 KB

Old 01-19-15, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
I would think you would know that the pieces interlock, but that there are nails that keep each piece in place... preventing each piece from unlocking or moving too far left or right. Since you are asking about the final piece that will have no nailing flange, the silicone prevents that last piece from unlocking by gluing it to the previous piece, which is nailed.

Then again, I see you have nothing above your soffit to nail to. Good luck with that.

Old 01-20-15, 10:24 AM
I'm going to add cross bracing--kind of like building a ladder as I go. There will be one cross brace every other panel and I'll nail (actually, screw) into the brace. With each panel being 10" wide, that puts the nails in with a 20" spacing--right in the middle of the manufacturer's spec of 1 nail every 16-24" (http://www.certainteed.com/resources/557.pdf).

Old 01-20-15, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds fine, but I would cut them short enough that you could fairly easily bend them into place, then would center them between the j-channels and use 2 screws per piece so that they could not slide side to side.

"Blocking", not cross bracing.