Siding missing: weather issues

Old 01-24-15, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding missing: weather issues

Just asking for your opinion on how important this is. I just noticed we have a chunk of siding missing from our second-floor bathroom extension near the corner. Unfortunately this is the steepest part of the roof and we just got hit with a small snow storm, with another major blizzard on the way for the early part of next week so I won't be able to get anyone up there to fix it until at least a week from now. How bad is that? How bad is it to wait a couple of weeks before fixing this?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  34.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-24-15 at 02:50 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-15, 12:47 PM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Fortunately snow won't deliver very much moisture into that area. Rain would be a problem. You should be ok unless they predict rain.

However, if you are going to have someone repair that as opposed to yourself, give them a call, they might just come over now.

Bud

Old 01-24-15, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to be fun trying to replace that piece since the it was installed wrong.
That rake board should have set out further and had J moulding ran under it.
Instead they ran the rake board over the siding which leaves gaps for insects to get in every 5".

Old 01-24-15, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Insects get behind vinyl siding no matter how it's installed, so I guess I don't see your point, Joe. What you are calling a rake board appears to me to be a white metal flashing.

IMO this is not a critical problem. Partly because the area is so small, and secondly because the step flashing for the roof is not visible. That means it is tucked behind the original siding, which is the wood you see exposed where the vinyl is missing. That siding likely did not leak, so there is no reason it would now. I would wait for decent weather before repairing it.

Old 01-24-15, 10:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
xsleeper, and what do you think that coil stock is attached to? It's attached to a rake board, not the side of the house.
Ever done a repair to a section of siding like that before?
Your trying to slide it in under the rake, under the J and lift it up into place to get it to lock.
Not impossible but tricky to do.
Just giving the poster a heads up so when he gets the bill, he's not thinking that much for a 2' piece of siding.
Even that J moulding installed tight to the shingles is wrong, The step flashing was suppose to be exposed by at least 1".
Down load any siding company's install directions and they will tell you that.

Old 01-25-15, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Yes I've done it and no I don't think its that tricky. The tricky part will be laying on your stomach hanging over the edge. LOL. Fortunately this is at the top, not in the middle.