Material to use for replacing existing fascia

Old 01-26-15, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Material to use for replacing existing fascia

Currently my home has the old pressboard almost like cardboard fascia. It's getting soft in several locations. I want to replace my fascia along with my soffit with hardie. The problem is the only Hardie material I have found in the 6" is 3/4" thick. My exiting pressboard stuff is like maybe 5/16". The pressboard is attached to 1x6. I'm afraid if I remove the pressboard and try to replace it with the 3/4" thick hardie it will not fit under my existing drip edge. Do they sell a hardie material that is thinner than 3/4" for fascia? I found a 6.5" lap siding that is about the same thickness as my existing fascia. Could I use that? Can I just attach the hardie directly over the 1x6 after removing the old fascia material? What nails should I use to attach the hardie fascia and soffit? I installed some 4x8 hardie soffit under my entry way at my front door and tried to use some of the screws Homedepot sells for the hardie and that was a joke they were way too thick. I ended up just using ring shank nails.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-15, 08:55 PM
I thought about just removing the old fascia and 1x6 and just replacing with new 1x6 cedar but then there would still be a gap between the drip edge and the cedar. What your thoughts on cedar for fascia boards in the Houston Texas area?

Old 01-26-15, 09:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not just wrap the 1 X 6 with coil stock?
It would never need painting, insects and wood peckers can not damage it and is available in dozens on colors.

Old 01-29-15, 10:55 PM
Coil stock?

What is coil stock? Is there any others areas here I should put this in to get more response?

Old 01-29-15, 11:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
Coil = Aluminum trim coil. You bend it on a metal brake or you can buy prebent fascia cover, which usually has hems and reinforcing ribs to keep it laying straighter with less ripples.

We can't really make up your mind for you. You can use the siding you found if you think that looks fine. Probably twice as good as what was on there before. Instead of using something 3/4" thick laminated with something 5/16" thick you could also use any of a number of types of trim that are a full 1" thick. LP, Miratec, fiber cement, or PVC such as Azek. They are called 5/4 (five quarter) not 1x.

Most guys use a siding gun and ring shank coil nails. Stainless steel are best. Hot dip galvanized 2nd best, some I have seen also have a cement coating.

You can use cedar if you want. But if you paint cedar you need to oil prime first. And you need to use galvanized nails with cedar, and even then stainless steel are recommended over galv... Does any of that help?

Old 01-29-15, 11:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 380 Posts
This is the proper location for this thread. We don't allow multiple threads on the same topic.

Old 01-30-15, 11:13 PM
Thanks Guys. Has anyone heard of a product called cems trim or Sims trim? Not sure on the spelling of it. I was told buy a local lumber yard that its the same fiber cement product as Hardie just lower priced.

Old 09-13-16, 11:37 PM
I replaced 320 linear ft of cardboard/pressboard like fascia on my 1979 hip joint ranch single level, with my 12 yo son in 3 weekends (plus trim paint). Used hardiplank 5/16" in 12 ft sections from homedepot. Came preprimed, but had to Rip(cut longwise) each 12' section because 8.25" was available locally but 6.25" was special order from hardiplant with 30 day wait. I bought $60 diablo blade to cut/rip, glad I spent that, super easy to cut. Replaced all flashing too - that was so much simp!er than I thought it was going to be.

I used treated wood decking screws (no predrilling necessary), demo/removal of old fascia was more work by far. Took 30 minutes hard work to remove/cleanup each 12'section of old fascia but only 10 minutes to measure/cut/attach new fascia. Had lots of bushes so lots of ladder work, that's rough/tiring. Also had 3 spots where 2x4 behind fascia was rotted, just removed/replaced and was good to go.

My father n law has replaced his fascia with treated 2x6s twice in 15 years, so that probably isn't a good choice for fascia.