Stucco over old stucco

Old 02-01-15, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stucco over old stucco

Hi. I have a easy stucco repair question. I have a 20 ft x 20 ft freestanding, framed in garage/shed. It's clad in building paper --- and in in some spots tarpaper -- and covered in stucco. I had someone frame in a new door opening on one side. The wall with the new opening has some other previously patched areas. I want the entire wall to look nice and have a consistent texture as it faces my patio. I'm thinking about re-stucco-ing the entire wall -- not just patch the portion around the opening. My question is do I have to break out the old stucco and re-stucco the entire wall, or can I just patch the new door opening, and apply new stucco coat(s) to the existing stucco while I'm at it? I was wondering if I can simply nail up some metal stucco lathe or stucco netting, and apply new stucco to that as if it were new construction. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-15, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is the stucco bare or painted? Stucco should bond to bare stucco although scratching some grooves in it will promote better adhesion.

Old 02-01-15, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the stucco has not been painted it is simple. First give the old wall a good pressure washing. Do the patch and texture it to match the majority of your wall. Let it cure a while like a week or so. Longer is better but you want to get this done so a week or so. Maybe keep it wet the first couple of days then let it dry. This will help even out the suction in the old and new. Old and new work often dries and cures a little differently. The closer the conditions are to the same between the old and new the better the color and texture match. If you do it all at once you run some chance of either or both a texture and color difference.
Then texture the whole wall including the new work.

If the original wall has been painted then a pressure washing is good. You want to get the dirt and loose paint off. Do the patch then apply a bonding agent to the painted surfaces and the new work too. The bonding agent will help the new stucco bond to the paint. The bond is only as good as the bond of the paint to the original stucco. The bonding agent will also help even out the suction between the new and the old work so you get a better texture and color match.

You did not ask but there are a lot of posts here about how to patch the stucco properly. Look for them. If you have questions, ask.