J Channel Question

Old 02-09-15, 05:40 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
J Channel Question

Hello all. Thank in advance for your help. We are having the 1-year service done on our house and the siding guy came out to take a look at what I think is a problem with the siding. There is a j-channel that is not attached to the siding it appears. I've included two pictures below (neither of which are good) but one is for context and the other is zoomed in on the area. The siding folks say there is nothing wrong and this is the way it should be. I was hoping you experts could confirm or deny that. Thanks in advance for your help.
Name:  j-channel1.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  26.9 KB
Name:  j-channel2.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  26.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-15, 05:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Guess your talking about the slit cut in the siding. Never should have been done that way.
There should have been metal flashing run up the wall and out over the next to last shingle.
J molding installed at least 1/2" above the shingles, then the siding is cut, not just slit to fit into the J moulding and the cut off piece slid into the J to kick it out and hold it tight to the J.

Old 02-09-15, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Joe has better eyes than I do... I can't tell anything from that angle. Maybe if you got on a ladder and showed us the part above the shingles as a closeup it would help.

There is a j-channel that is not attached to the siding it appears.
J-channel doesn't get "attached to the siding" so I don't know what you mean, or meant to say.

If you are referring to a finish trim (or utility trim) that has slipped off the cut end of the siding, then yeah... the finish trim should have been nailed to the house, not just slipped over the cut end of the siding.

Old 02-09-15, 06:06 PM
B
Thanks. You have to zoom in on that second picture to see. I can try and get up there tomorrow morning. Is the way they did it (from what you can see) bad/wrong or will result in damage?

Old 02-09-15, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
I did zoom in on it, and can't imagine what that fuzzy shadow would be, unless maybe it's a finish trim that's hanging loose making that shadow. Another picture from above would really help.

Old 02-09-15, 06:22 PM
B
Will do. Sorry for the bad quality. It was a bad phone from a bad angle.

Old 02-10-15, 03:39 AM
B
Better pictures. Sorry about the lighting, but I live up north :-)
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  22.8 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  28.5 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  19.5 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  19.5 KB

Old 02-10-15, 03:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
So the siding guy saw what we see and didn't find a problem with the open gaps or slit in the siding?

Old 02-10-15, 04:22 AM
B
That's what I was told by my builder who said he spoke with the siding guy.

Old 02-10-15, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Has the builder actually looked at it or seen the pics? Sometimes subs aren't all that forthcoming with the builder ..... trying to get out of standing behind their work.

Old 02-10-15, 05:26 AM
B
He was going to get up there and look today. I just want to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and that this is indeed not correct.

Old 02-10-15, 05:48 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know why the slit needed to be cut in the siding, but that's largely cosmetic. The bottom of the j-channel could have been cut a little better, also cosmetic. Not sure why the j-channel is rolling upward... also cosmetic. And what is the stuff on the black flashing directly below the corner post?

If done properly (all flashing is done prior to siding being installed, and housewrap is the primary WRB) you don't have to caulk any of that, or worry about any of the gaps.

I will say that your shingles should have extended over the d-style drip edge a little further. If they hung over by 1/4 to 1/2" you would not be able to see the top corner of the flashing like your 2nd pic shows.

Will be interesting to see what the contractor/installer has to say. The appearance could certainly be improved.