Woodpecker Problem –

Old 02-16-15, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Woodpecker Problem –

Woodpecker Problem –

I am trying to determine if bugs on my wood siding is drawing woodpeckers. So, I have two questions.

1. I live in Indiana and am currently experiencing below freezing weather. A woodpecker hit my house. Can I assume, since bugs would not appear in freezing weather, that my siding would not have bugs or insects in or behind my siding that would draw woodpeckers?

2. Is there an additive to house paint that will inhibit the problem of woodpeckers? I seem to have them all year.

Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-15, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Woodpeckers are attracted by the noise made by insects, sometimes they can mistake the expansion/contraction of styrofoam for that noise.
I know of no pant additive that discourages woodpeckers.

Old 02-16-15, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
Hang some CD's (Any Justin Bieber disc will do ) from string off the soffit/fascia. The spinning and flashing might scare them away.

Old 02-16-15, 04:59 PM
Thanks for your replies. I am assuming your responses infer that because of cold weather, insects would not be attracting the woodpeckers.

As for the styrofoam, would that be the insulation behind my siding?

As for the hanging discs, I agree that can be a deterrent. Last summer I attached some silver plated screening that could flap in the wind next to where the woodpeckers had attacked. That appeared to do some help. The area that is currently being attacked does not have that screening. I just did not expect it in the winter.

Jerry

Old 02-16-15, 07:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's two reasons they do this, as already mentioned insects, but some times it to attract a mate.

Old 02-17-15, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am assuming your responses infer that because of cold weather, insects would not be attracting the woodpeckers
I wouldn't say for sure it's not insects but would think that the cold weather would make it less likely. Locally there has been a problem with houses sided with Drivet where the woodpeckers would tear up the stucco thinking there was a meal in the styrofoam.

Old 02-18-15, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the added information. I contacted Sherwin Williams about a paint additive and although they did not have it, they referred me to a link noted below. The first link is their referral and the second link is another product offered by the same company.

Solve woodpecker problems with woodpecker repellent paint additive that humanely deters problem woodpeckers

woodpecker problems with...

If anyone would have an input on the effectiveness of these type of products, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Jerry

Last edited by Jerry8A; 02-18-15 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had never heard of that product and if you just had wood trim I'd be inclined to try it but at one bottle per gallon of paint - that would be awfully expensive to use on the siding.

Old 02-19-15, 08:27 PM
I sympathize with the woodpecker problem. Those buggers pecked neat little circles all the way through to my attic crawl space.
I plugged holes. I covered holes with sheet metal. I put up mirrors, CD's.
There are some hi-tech solutions out there; sound emitters, fake owls, etc… The only reasonably priced thing we found that seemed to deter them were the predator's eye. See:
Bird control balloon - scare birds away with predator eye balloon

Just be sure to attach it really firmly. We had one blow away during a wind/rain storm. Never did recover it.

I have the woodpeckers to thank for my long-running project of re-siding my house with Hardie fiber cement.

Good luck!