Tyvek tape

Old 02-17-15, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tyvek tape

Good/bad or indifferent. I have an ADCO RV cover made from Tyvek. Low and behold it is falling apart between the seams, not sure Tyvek, even 1460C, is made for this, but here I am.Name:  20150215_175024.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  14.6 KBName:  20150215_175057.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  19.0 KB

My question is about Tyvek tape. The 2" tape is for Tyvek seals and it appears to bond with the Tyvek, Dupont has a patent on this tape.

Then there is the 4" Tyvek flashing tape. This tape does not appear to chemically bond with the Tyvek.

From you with experience using both, which do you think would be better to fix/patch the rotting thread between the Tyvek panels?

Thanks much!

~David

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-15, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
What is supposed to hold those seams together..... stitching ?

I don't have any experience with either tape but if you find one that works.... it would make sense to use that one.

Old 02-17-15, 01:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I don't use Tyvek sealing tape. I use another brand, but if it is a butyl type sealant tape, it won't work on the Tyvek material. I would use regular 2" wide Tyvek tape. It will stick totally to the material. Not sure how much punishment it will take with wind and other weather elements.

Old 02-17-15, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tapes never going to hold.
Take it some place and have it redone with Polyester thread.
Same thread they use for sails.

Old 02-17-15, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Yeah, just because it's Tyvek doesn't mean you can use their residential/commercial tape products on it and get good results. All those products are meant to be coverered with siding within like 90 days or so. Housewrap isn't gonna blow and whip in the wind like your RV cover will. So I'm skeptical tape will be a very good fix.

That being said, I think you would probably get the best results with the 4" StraightFlash or Flexwrap tape because I have tried to pull it off after a few days and it pretty much shreds the Tyvek if you try and pull it off. I think the 2" roll of seam tape would be less expensive to try but it would probably be futile to try it, IMO.

I picture you getting a roll of the Flexwrap and just taping that entire seam- even the part that hasn't ripped yet. You might want a heat gun to help apply it if it's cold out.

Old 02-18-15, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
---

Last edited by guy48065; 02-18-15 at 08:11 AM. Reason: error