Hardie cement siding

Old 04-17-15, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardie cement siding

Do you use nails or screws when you install this stuff???
Also about how much $ to buy 3000 sf of this ,not installed...
Do you use a jig to install this to make sure its straight across the wall..??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-15, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Use spiral siding nails, Hot dipped galvanized. No way for us to tell you how much it will cost. A local lumber yard or box store can furnish that better. It is rough on saw blades, and jig saw blades won't make many cuts before being ground down. There are circle saw blades made just for the siding. That would be my choice.

Old 04-17-15, 08:28 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Why are you not going on the James Hardie web site and down loading there install directions?
Going to trying and do a whole house? Buy a real siding nailer.
One of the least DIY friendly sidings to install, brittle, when cutting you should be wearing a dust mask.
still needs to be painted.

Old 04-18-15, 12:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
Most preprimed cement siding runs just under $1 per sq ft for materials. It's installed like any other siding as far as "how to keep it straight". Start with a chalk line and have some reference lines or correction lines as you go up.

Gekko gauge is one of the popular cement siding gauges to help you hold the siding and space it. I never use them but know guys who do. I agree a siding nailer is the only way to go. Ring shank nails.

Old 04-18-15, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you do decide on using a nailer (and I am all for the convenience), make sure pressures are set properly so you don't leave nails proud and don't blow through the siding. In an inexperienced hand, nailers can mess up a job quickly.

Old 04-28-15, 01:21 PM
i am partial to screws even if they are more $$$
I assume that woodpeckers dont like this stuff..???
Can you glue the corner trim pieces on to cement block??? my corners are all block..

Old 04-28-15, 04:50 PM
Still not making a lot of since.
No way does it need to be screwed!
No way would I even be using Hardie trim.
No way should you be trying to attach Hardie siding directly to a block wall if that's what your implying.

Old 04-28-15, 04:52 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I assume that woodpeckers dont like this stuff..???
Woodpeckers are only interested in one thing, insects. They don't care what your siding is. Give us a little more info on your current set up to see what we can change or improve upon before redoing the whole house. Pictures also help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 04-29-15, 07:23 AM
Not true, they also like to tap to attract a mate.
We have one every year tapping on a rain gutter.

Old 04-29-15, 07:22 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Thanks joe, but I don't think that the OP is changing out his siding because the woodpecker is banging on his gutters. He is obviously having his house damaged by woodpeckers, which means that they are searching for insects.

Old 06-04-15, 11:00 PM
Fiber Cement Siding

very entertaining thread here while still sharing the information LOL. I just started siding replacement using fiber cement lap siding a few weeks ago and it's "different" then anything I've ever worked with.
Always good info from the members here that can really save you $$'s and time and hopefully some aggravation. I'd like to add a little something.
I did a couple small projects with hardie board 1-2 yrs ago, this time I'm using different brand which has much thicker trim boards (a good thing) and almost impossible to cut clean. I have circular saws , 1 with hardie blade , table saw (try not to use) ,hand saws (not funny) and am fairly good at "score n snap". So my first window trim was looking really ugly and I was looking for help, which I got when I called my son. Well I'm smiling now! because I have a nice ,new compound miter saw ....still amazing..what the right tool will do.
I wish I'd gotten fiber board blade to go with it , and saved my original. Still learning

pbr333