Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Removing a few pieces of exterior trim, how does it come off

Old 04-26-15, 09:01 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Want to remove the octagonal part at the top, there has been a bee hive in it awhile and might even leave it off depending on how it looks (house is 21 years old, we had it built), and also the 2 things above the windows. I have never liked the looks of them, I'd be happier if it didn't have the "guitar head" shapes in the center. Again I am unsure how to remove and don't want to wreck anything.

Attached Images  
Old 04-26-15, 10:12 AM
K
The trim pieces above the windows should just be screwed on. There are probably some plastic caps you need to remove to get to the screws.

The octagon is an attic vent, and needs to remain in place unless you do some sort of alternative venting.

Old 04-26-15, 10:50 AM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
Any of those headers I've installed are snapped onto a backing plate that's screwed to the wall.
If you remove them your going to be stuck with holes in the siding that will show.
Best to just replace the effected siding.

Old 04-26-15, 10:54 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Gilly,
The only trim I've done close to that was a door surround. There were solid pieces where I could screw them to the sheathing, then flash as desired, and then snap on the decorative covers. If you have a vinyl siding removal tool you might be able to hook under the edges and pull them away from the piece that is fastened to the house. If one of the local box stores sells something similar you might be able to visit and see what they do.

On mine, that center piece, in the center of the top trim, was just decoration and snapped on last.

But like many machines, the trick is identifying how it went together so you know where to pry and hopefully not break it in the learning process. Plastic typewriters and calculators were notorious for snapping the cover on last. That's why I had a good collection of different types of glue. Couldn't fix the machines if I couldn't get the cover off.

Doubtful that piece is contoured to match the siding as the siding can vary.

Bud

Old 04-26-15, 10:59 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Read Joe's reply (he is faster than I am) and realized I missed parts of your question.
The gable vent should have a snap on cover as well. If you have a full ridge vent the gable vent becomes optional, but patching the hole and matching the siding is difficult as siding fades with time.

As I mentioned the "guitar head" thing might just be snapped on.

Bud

Old 04-26-15, 04:42 PM
G
Thanks all. The octagon thing is just trim, not functional. I was looking at Menards and Home Depot websites and they both definitely have "decorative" and "functional" types, I am sure this is decorative only (have been in the attic and there isn't a vent there, I have ridge venting. I have tomorrow off work and borrowed the neighbors ladder, so will see what develops. I have an idea for painting the octagon, since we didn't really see anything we liked any better or worse. I agree it will just leave holes, I don't think it would be smart to try to replace any siding at this point, this is on the west side of the house and I'm sure nothing would match.

Old 04-27-15, 05:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Normally vinyl can only be painted the same color or lighter as darker can cause the vinyl to heat up and warp. There is an exception, SWP sells some vinyl safe paint that can be used to apply darker colors. I don't know if other paint manufactures have a similar coating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: