Recommendations for exterior shutters

Old 05-04-15, 06:42 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for exterior shutters

I currently have Builders Edge brand shutters by Tapco, they are 20 years old and horribly faded. I'm about to replace the windows again, thanks Pella for such a crappy rotted out window, and I want to replace the shutters too.

Vinyl vs fiberglass, which would hold its color better or is it even a question about the material? My shutters are dark brown, therefore probably the worst color for fading. Any recommendations?

Old 05-05-15, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I don't know too much about the different types/brands of shutters but you can paint them. I've painted countless vinyl shutters either to bring them back to life from fading or to change the color.

Old 05-05-15, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
FG shutters will normally last longer, but they will still fade over time. Unless you want to scrub them and use a protective product like Armorall 2 times a year.

The vinyl shutters are normally good for 15-20 yrs, but as you've seen they do degrade since the surface is exposed.

One note about painting vinyl shutters. I know Mark has done this a long time, but if you are planning to replace anyway, get the grey paintable shutters, not the ones that already have the color. No extra prep required other than a wipe down. No special paint or bonding agent either. More care has to be taken with prep on the pre-finished type. Painting those is only recommended when exterior paint schemes change or they need a freshening due to weathering.

You may have to order for some sizes, but they aren't that expensive and have many more options than what you see on the shelves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: