Would Hardiboard hold with glue?

Old 05-05-15, 11:08 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Would Hardiboard hold with glue?

I'm building an BBQ Island would like to add a 1.5" strip of hardiboard at the bottom to trim it out and cover the shim gaps. Can I use something like tightbond ii to glue the hardiboard to hardiboard?

Old 05-05-15, 02:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If the surface is fairly flat, use PL8X as an adhesive. Weather proof and will hold quite well and quickly. I would use Azek or another trim board rather than hardiboard, but it is your choice, and only you can see what you see.

Old 05-05-15, 03:15 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Hardi can't be put that close to the ground or it is likely to wick up water and delaminate. Composite trim boards or deck boards would be nice, but without fasteners, they are liable to expand an contract enough to effect the bond with the glue. Stick with lighter colors as the darker ones will absorb more heat.

Old 05-05-15, 04:03 PM
D
I don't plan on sitting the hardi on the ground. Thinking shimming it up 1/8 to 1/4" it's mainly for cosmetic reasons. I don't want to the bottom to look like it's sloping.

Old 05-05-15, 05:32 PM
Hardi recommends a 2" gap to flat surfaces be it a patio, deck or roof line. Here is an example of a repair I had to do to some hardie that did not get installed to specs.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  51.9 KB

Old 05-05-15, 05:42 PM
D
Ouch!

whats the finish that? Ill be applying dryvit over it which gives some waterproofing or it doesn't matter?

Old 05-05-15, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
If it was a house, hardiplank is supposed to be kept 6" above grade or 2" above sidewalks and such. You can put it lower but they won't be to blame if the paint peels prematurely.

Old 05-05-15, 05:51 PM
whats the finish
It was just regular latex paint. But the product wicked up liquid from splash and eventually delaminated. Just because hardie is made of cementatious ingredients doesn't mean it is impervious to water.

Old 05-05-15, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
You are too fast for me czizzi.

Not surprising to see walls like that, is it? Besides being installed too close to the roof, no one hardly ever primes and paints that cut edge next to the roof before they install the siding along there. The old carpenter trick I was taught was to angle the little pointy end of the siding (above where the lap covers, like the top 1 1/4" of the siding) so that it could never catch water (or leaves and gunk) that would track on top of the siding. Kind of like the same thing you might do with the top corner of shingles in an open valley.

Other carpenters look at me like I'm nuts when they see me making a cut and then painting it. LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: