Identifying Brand of Vinyl Siding

Old 05-12-15, 11:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Identifying Brand of Vinyl Siding

I've read some other threads and realize this is a much more challenging question that it would seem, however I'm hoping maybe I get lucky and someone will recognize this vinyl siding.

It's probably circa. 2003-2008. I brought it to two local supply houses, neither of which could identify it or had anything that matched. They both mentioned it seemed like a better built heavier-duty panel.

It's a double-4inch, w/ a 3/4" rise. One supply hosue said the 3/4" rise is not so common, the other supply house said the nailing fin folding over in the direction it does is not so common either.

I'm hoping with these few features perhaps someone could identify the brand.

Here is a link to pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/varuzz...57652695163351

there are no numbers or imprints.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-15, 12:05 PM
So there are no manufacturer names/codes or dates/shifts (maybe a LOGO?) on the backside ?

I'd ask the prior owner(s) who had it installed, and ask the builder/contractor what he used.

If you're in a development or subdivision, ask around and see if any others in the same area know WHO installed WHAT, and WHEN and then you can find out WHERE they purchased it.

You might hit pay dirt.

There used to be a service for matching vinyl siding located at SidingMatch | RoofingMatch ; but it seems to have been relocated.

Old 05-12-15, 01:03 PM
Vinyl siding manufacturers are notorious for changing there product colors and styles often. If your siding is more than 10 years old, it is unlikely you will still find it produced.

Your supply houses are right that the nailing fold is not common. All the siding I have seen with that fold goes toward the front of the siding, not the back. It is however an indication of a higher end product line. The 3/4" rise is also an indication of a higher end product. This could be part of the reason they do not recognize it, as most people will go for the cheapest stuff they can find, and so they have just not come across this in their sales.

Is this the only sample you have? There is almost always some sort of product number either stamped or printed somewhere on a full piece on the nailing strip.

To me, it looks like a Kaycan Product, but that's just a guess. It almost cetainly came from a local supplier in your area, so the best thing may just be to hit them all up and see if you get lucky with one of them.

Old 05-12-15, 02:22 PM
Keith - thanks for the advice. I pulled a longer piece off the house and found the following printer on the front-facing side of the nailing fin: "0712034 05:45"

I googled that model number and nothing came up. It almost looks like a date/time code, and 2003 would peg it right around time frame I suspected.

Unfortunately, the past owners are long gone. They screwed me good and ran far and hard

It's a drag, I'm replacing a rotted bay window with a a flat picture window. There was the top of the bay window and buttresses that support it that will be removed that the siding is butted up against.

Worst case scenario, I can pull siding from the back of the house to fill in the front and try to find something that matches as closely as possible. I was hoping for a miracle! And both supply houses said it appeared to be 'good quality' siding, but I only have two supply houses in my area, and neither recognized it.

Thanks,
Justin

Old 05-12-15, 03:34 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Worst case, just replace all the siding on that side of the house, all the hard parts already done, the trim.

Old 05-12-15, 04:45 PM
That number is likely a batch number and time it was produced. Usually the manufacturer name is printed along with it, but I guess you were not so lucky.

Another option could be to take the siding off the top and bottom of the bay and replace it with vertical white (or whatever the trim color is on your house). No worries about matching it, and it would look like it is supposed to be like that.

Old 05-12-15, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
How long is a full piece? 12' or 12'6"? Also a picture that shows the bottom of the siding (end on) would also help.

It kind of looks like Certainteed Monogram. Or maybe Norandex/Reynolds Grand Junction.... it has the backward nailing hem. Of course the exact profile may have changed since the original. My advice would be for you to take the piece to your nearest Norandex siding supply and see if they recognize it.

http://www.weatherguardsystems.com/i...unctionlow.jpg

Old 05-13-15, 04:56 AM
XSleeper - you may have hit it with Norandex. We had a local Norandex supply that closed in 2010. I had mentioned we only had two supply houses in the area (covering a pretty wide coverage). There is a Norandex about an hour and a half away. I will call them today and see if they would check a sample if I sent them one, but looking at their website the specs (measurements) and locking design looks awfully similar.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I greatly appreciate it! You guys rock!

Keith - I had considered that option as well. The particular wall is broken up by the front door of the house, leaving less than a foot of trim above the door to the soffit. It would be an easy place to break the pattern and go with a shake or something different. Maybe even a stone facade.

The only issue, is it's a rental and I'm trying to save money. The bay window would of been $3500 just for the window, where a picture window (anderson 400) is about $1200.

I wasn't prepared to start spending to reside, or reface the front of the house.

Thanks again.

-Justin

Old 05-13-15, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
Not sure where you live (complete your profile!) but we have a dealer in Omaha, NE if it helps.

Old 05-13-15, 06:22 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
That's been a pet peeve of mine for years, why can manufactures not mark the siding and windows in some way so it will not come off.
Paper stickers do nothing on windows, there going to get peeled off or fade out.