Keeping vinyl J-channel straight

Old 05-23-15, 10:50 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keeping vinyl J-channel straight

Hello,

I'm using J-channel for my vinyl soffits. I'm nailing into the underside of sub-fascia on a house that is 50+ years old. The sub-fascia is a little bit wavy and the wood fascia is even more wavy. So, I don't have good reference lines. I've tried stretching mason's string an 1/8 off from the nailing flange, but, with the dips in the sub-fascia, the string was too far away to be useful.

Are there any "tricks of the trade" that I could use?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-15, 11:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
If the front edge of the wood fascia hangs down a ways below the soffit... say 3/4", you have 3/4" to play with so you can snap a chalk line on it and cut some of that 3/4" off with a skilsaw so that it's straight.

I assume you are putting the j-channel in BACK of the soffit, against the house? And that it waves up and down too? About all you can do with that is shim it down as needed, nail/screw it loosely so that it floats over dips.

Other times its best to rip down what's there... or put up a 1x2 or 2x2 in back that is shimmed straight and nail on top of that.

If you wanted to post some pictures that would probably be more helpful, so that we could see what you are asking about.

Aluminum soffit and aluminum j-channel stay a lot straighter.

Old 05-24-15, 07:21 AM
S
These photos will, hopefully, help describe the situation.
Name:  J-Channel-Gets-Wavy.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  43.4 KB

When I eye the fascia, it waves right-to-left.
Up-Down, I can't tell if my string line is dipping (although I did get it as tight as I could, it is spanning 12') or if there is a crown in the overall eaves.

Old 05-24-15, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
Looks like you're doing fine. You obviously may need to add a little framing here and there on the back side or as you go around corners for your j-channel to nail to. Vinyl soffit is pretty wimpy, especially when there is no solid soffit above it. The wind can blow it up and down and it can get baggy if the span is wide. So I don't know if you have any wide areas but you might consider adding some framing if you think the panels could benefit from being nailed in the middle, not just on the ends.

Old 05-24-15, 08:57 AM
S
Thanks @xsleeper.
Yes, you recommended "blocking" in another thread I posted. It's a bit hard to see through the screen I put up, but in the top picture there is a 2x4 cross block I installed. Certainteed claims that there Invisivent can span 24" and most of my soffit is 24". Since I'm at the edge of their recommendation, I put up blocking for every other panel so I could support the midpoint.