Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How to undercut window jamb and tracks to install trim coil on sill to stool

Old 05-29-15, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have double hung wood windows with rigid plastic tracks and brick mold trim (picture attached). In connection with a tear-off of existing hardboard siding and vinyl siding installation, the window trim will be wrapped with aluminum trim coil. To best protect the window sill, I would like to remove the old posts that hold the screen in place, undercut the jambs and window tracks, and install the coil stock all the way up to the stool.

My concern is that if not done by a knowledgeable and skilled craftsman, the window sill, jamb and tracks could be damaged. Any "how to's" as to how to do the undercut from someone who has experience with this procedure would be greatly appreciated (e.g., best tool to use, techniques, etc.).

Or are there other, less risky but equally effective techniques?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-15, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
First off, use a stiff 3" wide putty knife and see if you can wiggle it underneath and pry upward. There is often enough play in them that if you shove them all the way up, you don't have to cut the jambs. If you can get them up 1/8" that's perfect. Then a handsaw can cut the blind stop.

If you can't budge the jambs then you will want to get a Fein Multimaster or similar and undercut both the jamb and the blind stop with a fine blade. I would probably not undercut the stool. The window will be shut on top of your wrap when it rains so that should not be a big deal.

Old 05-29-15, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you again XSleeper!