Is $175 fair price to replace blown-off fascia metal?

Old 05-29-15, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is $175 fair price to replace blown-off fascia metal?

In the past winter our front fascia metal was blown off. It appeared to be aluminum. it's probably about 12' long? it's at the top of our two-story home.

I got a quote from a contractor, $175 inluding the below:
front center top left rake board
approximately 12'
install new capping to missing area
color match
clean up

is this a fair price??? I am in Delaware.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-15, 09:49 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Having to set up ladders and climb to the roof line plus deal with a 12' piece of aluminum would be a two person job. Plus possible forming of the aluminum and color match.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Just make sure the contractor is insured and carries worker's comp insurance or equivalent.

Old 05-29-15, 11:12 AM
Thank you goldstar,
yes they do have insurance.
they did say that there is no warranty on this job since it's a repair only.
Is that standard? I thought even for repairs there should be some 90 day warranty or something, i mean what if it falls off within couple weeks?

Old 05-29-15, 11:25 AM
I was not sure of the price because i came across this when i was researching the cost online.

Redbeacon Experts

according to this page, it usually costs $75 - $125?...

Old 05-29-15, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
I would ask them to silicone the back side of the new fascia when they go to nail it up. People call me occasionally to do this on jobs others have installed, and since I started doing that I haven't ever had to redo the same piece twice!

If it was a one story building, yeah, maybe.

But how long would it take you to load up 2 ladders, go to the lumber yard, get the fascia (color match it, if it's not white... which means at least 2 trips and some running around to find it) drive over to your house, set up ladders, install, take down and load up ladders, and drive to the next paying job?

People often don't understand why contractors don't want to do little jobs, well its cuz you don't make any money at them, and people always think you're ripping them off. They don't think about the time that is involved to get the materials, load up the equipment needed and travel to and from the jobsite. Someone has to pay for that.

Old 05-29-15, 12:04 PM
That is too cheap. I would expect to pay or be paid at least $150.00 just to show up. Get this done before the contractor changes his mind.

Old 05-29-15, 12:29 PM
Looks like I'm in a competitive market then LOL
All of the contractors I contacted offered free estimates. They just sent someone there to check and since it's exterior, they dont need me to be at home.

only one got back to me with $175 so far. So i'm wondering if this is a fair price.. have not done similar jobs so no idea how much it should cost

But i guess based on everyone's response, this is a good price

Old 05-29-15, 12:50 PM
If it provides you any comfort, I would not even think about doing this for $175.00

They might make a profit because of proficiency and volume. Some or most would lose money.

Old 05-29-15, 01:52 PM
Received 91 Votes on 83 Posts
I would not take the lowest price. Go with the next one up.

Old 05-29-15, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Red Beacon is an arm of Home Depot. Not sure their estimates are all that accurate, and could increase once they get on site. I have been asked to become a Red Beacon installer/repair person. Catch is, they must give you an estimate sight unseen, and they may be from another city. In addition Red Beacon requires 25% of the charges as their commission. I slid out the side door while they were talking to the contractors about it.

Old 06-02-15, 08:48 AM
I received another quote, price is even lower - $165, and carrys 5-year labor warranty

Based on what everybody says here, i'm very happy about the price and scheduled the work with this company They have better reviews on home advisor anyways, and they are a very big roofing commpany

Thanks for everybody's input!