Posts Covered in Cedar and Pecked

Old 05-31-15, 12:44 PM
Gen
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Posts Covered in Cedar and Pecked

Hello, I have four 6 x 4in posts holding up an overhang in the front of my house......They are covered with four 1 x 12 cedar boards making them boxed in square so to speak.......Problem I need solving: The cedar boards are subject to repeat wood pecker hole making (up to 3-4 inch big.) My question: Is there a way to eliminate wood pecker invasion, OR can I cover the posts with another inexpensive material that is less desirable to pecking.

I've considered aluminum wrapping, but don't like the look, and considered some kind of vinyl 3/4", but is very expensive. (I'd need 16 pieces.......Any ideas how to eliminate the pecking or suggest a suitable material?......FYI the current boards are 17 feet high (with one splice) and I want them to continue being white also.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-15, 12:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What about a couple of pictures of what you are faced with? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-31-15, 01:05 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
If the wood peckers are tearing them up then it's likley you also have carpender bees.
Coil stock can be bought in at least 30 different colors.

Old 05-31-15, 07:24 PM
Gen
Thanks, Coil stock.....we got aluminum already as siding all over the house-we just don't like it much. Never had carpenter bees though.

Old 05-31-15, 07:54 PM
Gen
OK hopefully this pic shows and tells. (Bird made a almost perfect circle, eh?) As I said the posts are about 17ft high. And FYI.... Even though the peck hole in the pic is above a small trim splice where a bird can perch.....There are other holes in the middle of the post span where there's nothing for a bird to stand on.

Name:  front_porch-post.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  19.8 KB

Old 06-01-15, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Woodpeckers don't attack your house because they don't like you - they are hunting for food [bugs] Sometimes they will mistake stryofoam expanding/contracting for bugs but that wouldn't be the case on your posts. Are you sure there are no insects in the wood??

Old 06-01-15, 07:31 AM
Gen
OK I do understand why peckers do what they do in terms of going after bugs....they make holes in cedar to attract bugs to eat--even though I do not see bugs........but still my mission.... to find something to cover the posts with what they will find impeckable. (like can't peck holes in.) Which preferably, 1.) Is not aluminum and 2.) Does not cost a fortune since I would need 16 pieces that are 1 x 12 and 17 feet long.