Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Secure mounting points (studs) under aluminum siding for shade sail....?

Old 06-07-15, 08:16 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I am trying to put up a shade sail over my back patio. My backyard patio is in full sun almost all day. The way my house faces (Front yard East, backyard west) the only time the patio is shaded is in the morning.

I planned on doing a rectangle shade sail with two mounting points on the house, and then installing two poles just past the patio for the other side mounting points. That's the easy part for me.

The problem that I am having is, how to find a good solid stud or mounting point under my aluminum siding without taking a bunch of siding off?

I want to put the mounting points on the underside of my second story overhang. Now there has to be some solid support right there correct?

Here is a picture:
Name:  idea1cover.jpg
Views: 7181
Size:  21.3 KB

I have already moved my cable cord out of the way. From the mock-up picture it looks as though my electrical wire might be close to the sail, but it wont be. At the height that I plan on putting the two posts, there should be plenty of room between the sail and any wires.

But as you can see in the picture, that is basically where I would like to anchor the sail to the house. But I don't know how to tell where there is a stud. It has to bee pretty stout so that the shade sail can be tightened down. Should that whole underside of that overhand be solid? Would there be a stud or double stud right along the joint?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-08-15, 01:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since your second floor is cantilevered out over the first floor.....you should have at least a rim joist and floor joists that come out to meet the rim joist. Those floor joists should be on 16" centers.

Name:  idea1cover.jpg
Views: 3817
Size:  14.8 KB

Old 06-08-15, 03:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Pete. Unzip the bottom piece of siding and investigate what you have behind it. There should be a solid board where his picture shows. I would determine (via nail placement if need be) where the cantilever tail is and mark it on the siding above in pencil. Replace the siding you removed, drill a hole through the bottom piece of siding and install a 4" x 1/2" lag eye bolt. Apply silicone in the hole before you put the bolt in to help seal the hole from water infiltration. Caulk around the bolt after it is installed as well.

As with any wind sail, you will have a tremendous amount of lift once it parachutes, so be aware of the possibility of fasteners weakening over time. I would possibly consider installing additional fastening points along the cantilever for strength.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: