Replace windows or stucco first

Old 06-16-15, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace windows or stucco first

Hi. I have a 100-year old house with minor leaks in both the stucco and the windows. Both will have to be replaced eventually and (because the house is big and I am not rich) I can't really afford to do them this year.

I can probably afford to replace them both in about five years but my plan of attack until then is to make small repairs as needed.

My question is whether it is vastly better to do both jobs at the same time (This is clearly not DIY territory) or whether I can commission one of the jobs in a couple years when I can afford it. And if it is not that beneficial to do both jobs at the same time, which job should be done first?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-15, 11:13 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's not a question of all or nothing. I would use new construction windows. Replace the window first & then the stucco around it. Do 3 at a time, if that's all that you can afford.

Old 06-16-15, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
If you simply can't do both at the same time, do the windows first! If needed, you will probably need to cut stucco twice. Once to get the flange of the window installed against the building, and again once the window is set... you can then measure a set amount (say 2 1/8" or 3 5/8") away from the window and make another cut all the way around. This will give you a space to install some trim around the window and then you can caulk the trim to the window on one side of the trim, and to the stucco on the other side of the trim.