Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Replacing Rotted Hardboard Siding Planks With Thinner HardiPlank

Old 06-19-15, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My 1970's house has 9 1/2" wide 7/16" thick hardboard planks for siding. Three of them are rotted near the bottom of the back wall. The only thing I could find to replace them was 12" wide smooth HardiPlank fiber cement planks that are 1/8" thinner (5/16").

I want to put some kind of backing on the wall behind them to make them appear thicker and blend in with the existing hardboard siding. I have some left over granular asphalt roll roofing from a patio roof. I was thinking of tacking that with some roofing paper onto the wall behind the Hardiplank.

Would that be okay or is there something better? Also, is it okay to use galvanized nails with Hardi? Their manual doesn't mention that. This siding has to be face nailed with exposed nail heads.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-15, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
That is okay but be sure you don't let your shims protrude and you shouldn't caulk any of the horizontal laps. Yes, hot dipped galvanized nails will be your best choice. You may want to find yourself an 1/8" masonry drill bit to make life easier on yourself. Predrilling the holes may save your sanity.

You should be able to find the hardboard siding if you look in the right lumberyard. But probably too late for that if you already have the cement siding.

Old 06-21-15, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. Yes, you are right about pre-drilling holes for the nails. 1/8" is too big for the 6d nails the manual specifies. I bought a couple packages of 3/32" drills and undersized the hole a little. One drill bit only does one board before its toast, but it's only 3 boards for now.

The lumberyard I went to said they could order hardboard siding but it never was delivered so then they recommended the Hardi. It seems to blend in okay, at least for now...

Old 06-21-15, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
Yeah that's why I suggested using a "masonry drill bit"... but for 3 boards I wouldn't sweat it.