Vinyl siding / decking pressure wash solution

Old 07-04-15, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl siding / decking pressure wash solution

There was a guy on our street going door to door presuure washing siding and decks. He had a "magic solution" that actually worked quite well on my neighbors house. With an extension wand I watched him spray the gutters which were filthy, leave it on ea few minutes, and them pressure wash them perfectly clean. He did the same with the decks and really brightened them up. My neighbor was quite impressed. This guy would not be using an expensive commercial cleaner. I presume it was a detergent / bleach combination, but it didn't have a strong bleach smell. Any guesses as to what he was using. It worked great.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-15, 10:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
TSP and bleach works well. There is a bleach substitute that is more diy and environmentally friendly but I rarely use it.

Old 07-04-15, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 224 Votes on 206 Posts
I use Clorox Outdoor Bleach which may be some variation of TSP and bleach. It works very well and is reasonably priced. I dilute it 5 parts water to 1 part cleaner and put it in a pressure sprayer and spray the area with the cleaning solution when it's dry. Then come back and pressure wash it off. Whatever is in it it works much better than pressure washing alone and I'd even recommend it even if all you do is hose it off (no pressure washer).

Old 07-04-15, 12:41 PM
what is best proportions for mixing TSP and bleach...

someone else recommended Simply Green and Bleach with water...

Old 07-04-15, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
I don't remember how much TSP I add although it can be altered - stronger/weaker. There should be directions on the package. I normally mix bleach 50/50 and then add the TSP to it if needed. Like PD I put the cleaning mixture in a pump up garden sprayer to apply it. That gives better control than using the siphon feature on the pressure washer and you aren't running those harsh chemicals thru the pump.

Old 07-05-15, 05:17 AM
Activated oxygen, or sodium percarbonate, is the active ingredient I think...