Hardie Board Color Plus Siding - does it last?

Old 07-05-15, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardie Board Color Plus Siding - does it last?

Hello - we've just begun the process of purchasing a new home in a development which ONLY offers Hardie Board siding for their homes. We like the look of the siding and what we've been told so far regarding its longevity, however, upon further review (aka, internet research) it sounds like a good amount of folks are having trouble with their Hardie Board Color Plus siding (this is the pre-painted version). Can anybody here comment on how their siding has held up? Will we need to re-paint this siding in a handful of years? Any comments on your experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-15, 01:17 PM
Hello. I work for a lumber yard in NE Ohio, and have noticed pros and cons to the prefinished product.

The paint warranty offered from Hardie is typically 15 years. Depending on site conditions, exposures etc most finishes hold up to 15 years no problem. The product itself is (in my opinion) excellent.

As an alternative, you could look into installing a primed product and having it painted after installation. Hardie recommends a premium Acrylic Enamel, and uses a Valspar product on their factory finishes. I have preferred this method because it generally offers a better aesthetic finish. Caulking, nail heads etc are guaranteed to be the same color and sheen if painted all at once. An add benefit to this method is that the paint manufacturers finish warranty may be higher than the standard 15 year Hardie warranty.

Though I am a fan of the siding, I do not like selling their trim if I can avoid it. The clearance requirements, and basic design make installation difficult at times. (I even had my local Hardie Rep endorse other products!) I prefer PVC (Azek or Versatex) or a premium wood trim such as Boral.

Thanks....hopefully I cleared some things up for you!

Old 07-06-15, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, we don't have a choice as to which version of Hardie Board they install (can only go with the pre-finished/painted version), but you have helped in reducing some of our fears of the finish failing prematurely. Much of what we have read recently where the finish fails appears to be related to prolonged contact with ice and snow? We're in middle Tennessee, so wont be as likely to have that issue, but still don't like the idea of any chance of needing to repaint in less than, say, 10 years. This will be a whole-house situation with 3 levels, so assume the cost to repaint will be substantial.

Old 07-06-15, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
I have put up tons of the stuff and have been around hundreds of other houses where others have installed it. The only time I have seen the paint fail prematurely is when the installer failed to follow the mfg's installation instructions. (failed to prime and paint cut ends, installed the siding too close to grade or too tight to a roof or sidewalk, or used an unpainted field cut end as a butt joint.)

Old 07-06-15, 10:30 AM
Glad to help. If you look at hardie online install guides it will show you the clearances they recommend for the trim and siding.......the two most important are roof/wall intersections (2") and grade clearance (6"). As long as your builder follows hardie's best practices you should be ok.

It is also best to avoid caulking joints in the field. It is recommended that factory edges make moderate contact, with a piece of flashing (slip sheets or coil stock) behind it.

Best wishes

Old 07-06-15, 09:37 PM
Thanks to you both. This is helpful! Will be inspecting some existing homes in the neighborhood this week to check installation quality. From what I have previously seen, they are doing things 'right' (as far as I can tell). Thanks!