Any help deciding on exterior vinyl, so many choices!

Old 07-06-15, 04:12 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any help deciding on exterior vinyl, so many choices!

Hi gang. My wife and I are working towards a new exterior on our 21 yr old home. The vinyl is getting pretty faded and lots has changed in 21 years. We are also wanting a color change to update the house and also want to get the "white" out (soffit, facia, gutters) so looking at a pretty expensive revamp. We plan on being here quite awhile yet, and it might help the resale when we decide to move out at some point.

We just visited our first home improvement place (a contractor we know of who is recommended). One product we liked was Polar Wall Plus, by Norandex, which is an insulated vinyl. Wondering if anyone had experience with that or some other product you'd like to recommend to us. Insulated appeals to us being up in Wisconsin.

Old 07-06-15, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
I've installed a lot of siding (vinyl and otherwise) and am not convinced of the benefits of any kind of insulated siding. The pieces have so many seams that if air can get behind it, I don't see how it can provide much, if any insulating value.

That being said, I'm sure that insulated siding is far better than non-insulated siding... but don't expect that insulated siding will make your home a lot warmer or far more energy efficient.

IMO, it would be far better to sheet your exterior with 4x8 sheets of tongue and groove insulation, tape all the seams, and then apply some siding. (less seams) Increasing the wall thickness by adding exterior insulation often creates problems with door and window trim being recessed.

Insulated siding has benefits as far as being a little more rigid, but mainly it is a labor saving product. One step installation rather than two. They try and sell you on the idea that its really going to help with insulating, because we all know that more insulation HAS to be good.

Reality is that it could be R100, and if it let's the -30F wind blow behind it, that R100 insulation ain't going to do your walls a bit of good. Not sure if that's realism or skepticism talking.

Old 07-06-15, 05:37 PM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
I agree.
It cost far more then a quality .045 thick siding, requires a more expencive 1" J molding, harder to install.
My girlfriend had it install on her house and it made 0 difference in her heating and cooling cost.

Old 07-06-15, 05:57 PM
G
Their printed material (and I know they are trying to sell the product) says that the gaps help remove moisture from the walls. That's what they say anyways. They claim "impact resistance" and I can see having the foam backing up they vinyl would probably help in a lot of situations. Also claim that the foam helps the overlaps remain hidden. I would almost agree with this but I don't know, with the insulation backing it, how the pieces overlap together, I am sure they don't just butt the pieces together if the span is longer than a piece of the product.
If we are doing the whole house, soffits and all, would it make sense to look at replacing the wrap? It is Tyvek made 21 yrs ago (I think I remember seeing Tyvek anyways).

Old 07-06-15, 08:33 PM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
A .045 siding has more then enough "impact resistance" if a rock hits it from a lawn mower, it's about a 10 min. fix to replace the whole piece.
Install a beaded or Dutch Lap siding and it's going to lay flat.
Tyvek that's not been exposed to UV will not need to be replaced.

Old 07-14-15, 08:45 PM
G
Company owner came to look at the house and will get an estimate to us. Get this, no wrap, no foam under the vinyl, he expected to find this in this area, even though the house is 21 years old. He may have said it was code now, not sure.
He will quote us out with the insulated siding and also with foam panels installed with normal hollow siding (will wrap the house either way). Installer is a member of a remodeling association in this area and is BBB accredited and I also know the owners son, lots of good info out there on them.

In regards to no foam, he wasn't happy about that but said he does see that once in awhile on houses of this age (building boom mid 90s). My wife and I don't consider our heating cost extreme considering the size of the house. She makes a deal out of the cabinets being stone cold in the winter (the ones that are mounted to inside of exterior walls), and I hate that kitchen counters are stone cold, again the ones that butt to exterior walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: