Problem putting up siding

Old 07-13-15, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem putting up siding

Much of the siding of my house has been taken off due to replacing many of the wooden panels on the side.

I am trying to put the vinyl siding back up but the trim on the bottom was removed. I am trying to connect all of the vinyl siding back but it is a bit difficult to put back as it doesn't lineup fully with what the siding has to clip into from the bottom and top. Is it suppose to be this difficult or am I doing it wrong? I took picture of it

Name:  53230d1436844262-problem-putting-up-siding-image.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  36.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-13-15 at 10:00 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-15, 09:54 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Should have been able to measure the distance the starter strip needs to be moved down by measuring how high it's sitting off the deck. Your also missing a piece of J molding where it meets the deck.
What's up with the left side side with nothing there?
Did you move a door over or install one where there was none?

Old 07-13-15, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Yeah, just to further what Joe said about measuring, if your siding is double 5", measure down from the bottom edge of the ORIGINAL siding pieces up top, and all your rows below will be on 10" centers. So if you measure down and it's say 49 1/2", well, you are 1/2" crooked.

If you have double 4.5, it will be 9" increments. If you have double 4, it will be 8" increments.

And if you aren't working from bottom to top, you need a Malco Sideswiper tool to zip those loose pieces of siding on the left back up. (maybe that's what you're asking?)

I'm also curious where all the j-channel is at.

Old 07-13-15, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So to see where each piece goes just measure the length of a double siding piece (x), and then start from the bottom center of the first one and go down x inches. Each x inches I go is where a piece of siding needs to be installed.

The J channel is off to the side still. It had to be taken off because the entire deck and door frame had to be removed.

Old 07-13-15, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
J-channel is usually the first thing you want to put on... Otherwise you have to take all the siding loose to nail it on.

What I stated about measuring should work... but if the original installers didn't check as they installed... they could have pulled the siding tighter (making the distance grow over a span of 4 or 5 pieces) or maybe they didn't pull it tight enough (making the distance shorter over a span of 4 or 5 pieces).

So you would be wise to do some measuring in the areas off to either side where the siding was NOT disturbed, and try and match the existing lap. You may find that it's dead on... 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, etc... or you may find that its wacky... 10 1/8, 20 1/4, 30 3/8, 40 1/2, 50 5/8, etc.

Following the old nail holes (at least to help you align the height) is also a pretty safe bet, if the Tyvek hasn't been replaced.

Old 07-14-15, 07:23 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Why would he start at the bottom with J?
It's just going to trap water.
Still wondering what the plan is to trim out that door opening.
If you want to reuse that old siding I'd be trimming it out with PVC lumber, add the J molding then install the siding.
Use a wide enough vinyl lumber that the siding needs to be cut if need be.
It can be cut, but not stretched.
I suck at resetting the starter strip in the right place when a wall like yours is repaired and your only working at the bottom so I cheat and use a new piece of siding cut in 6" strips and lock then together and set them in place on the right left and the middle, slide in a short piece of starter and mark where the top of the starter needs to set.
Then I know it will line up on the final piece at the top.
Not the "right way" but's it's worked for me.

I can see some possible reasons that wall rotted out.
What was done to prevent it from happening again?

Old 07-14-15, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
Didn't mean first thing at the BOTTOM, that's obviously starter strip. I meant first thing along the sides and around the deck.