Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

leak above garage door, j-channel issue? installation issue?

Old 07-15-15, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So, a storm chaser came to my house and I allowed him to put up new siding. What a nightmare.... Anyway, I think he left me with a problem!

When it rains, water is collecting between the aluminum capping that they used around the garage door and the wood. Water is NOT coming into the garage or collecting on the floor. It appears that the wood has some water marks on it so I know what might have been coming in for a good bit now... So, water collects in this "pocket". Due to this, the weather seal is now sagging and needed to be re nailed into place, and is again sagging. I plan to move to screws, as I am assuming that the wood is a bit to soft for the small nails that I used.

Details: the siding is dutch lap, they used a j-channel just above the door. They did NOT caulk the j-channel to the top of the garage door. I did use silicon to attempt to seal this area... It did not solve the problem. I need to go back and make sure that I did a good job sealing this myself... But even if I did a bad job, I am still shocked that so much water came through. This side of the house does not have an awning.

This is not a major issue, but water does scare me! Help, how can I assess the real problem and how do I fix it??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-15, 10:12 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Post a picture.
Guessing he never install Z molding over the top of the trim before installing the J molding.
Another way is to bend the metal so it goes up the wall about 4". I do not like to do it that way because there's no kick out so water runs down the trim and stains it.
Calking that seam is just going to trap more water and rot it out faster.
Properly installed siding does not need caulking.