Cant find replacement siding

Old 07-30-15, 11:31 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cant find replacement siding

So the previous home owner had patched the side of the house with some OSB. I removed the OSB and need to replace with some siding but I can't seem to find the same size! Ugh. It looks like it is aluminum? But I am not sure. And the total height of each sheet is 9". Any tips or suggestions? Thank you..Name:  IMG_1672.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  32.3 KB

Old 07-30-15, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yeah, there is probably no way in Hades that ur going to find that exactly. Siding is generally sized by measuring the "exposure" which is the distance from one lap to the next... not the full width of the siding including the fin.

Rollex makes an 8" siding in smooth white. (Napco is another- also smooth) Yours looks textured. But that might be the closest you will come. You can't patch aluminum siding anyway, it will look bad. And you have to remove the siding from the top down... you can't unzip it like you can with vinyl. You may as well take all the siding off that side of the house and do one entire side with something that's a close match. That way you don't have to match up with anything other than the siding around the corner.

If this is a totally separate area and not just a boarded up window (can't tell from the closeup) then you can probably put up a vertical batten (with j-channels) along the siding to the right and start with the similar siding going to the left.

Old 07-30-15, 11:43 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
8 inch exposure aluminum siding was common, and is still available, although you will probably have to order from a lumberyard. If it's really 9" exposure you may be out of luck. I'd try calling the old time, little lumber yards in the area. Architectural salvage yards may be a good source too. If you do find it, you're going to want to weave it in with the old, staggering the joints by cutting back some of the old pieces, or it will look like, well, not so good.

If you end up residing with vinyl or the like, remember to sell the aluminum for scrap....it's worth good money.

Old 07-30-15, 04:17 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I have to agree, even if you did find a replacement there is no way to weave it in.
Need to be looking for real siding supply's not lumber yards, there not going to stock it and your going to just be paying there mark up.
Feeling lucky a real siding supply may have the wider aluminum or a close match they can order in vinyl so it matches the rest of the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: