Properly cutting siding on gable.

Old 07-29-15, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Properly cutting siding on gable.

I am on the home stretch of my siding project I have a 1 1/2 story home and all I have left is the one side of the house that is a full story and a half and the gable above my garage. I am ok with cutting my angles for my gable. My problem is I cant figure out how to cut my gable above the garage because I have the roof below and the roof above and I know that my siding has to remain straight and level and I would have to cut my angle at my roofline but I just cant seem to figure out how to do it for some reason. I know if someone can get me started I will be fine I just cant seem to figure it out.

Name:  Gable1.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  38.0 KBName:  Gable2.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  38.3 KBName:  Gable3.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  39.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-15, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
XSleeper will be along with probably an easier answer, but in the meantime, you could begin by snapping level lines across, starting just under the window. This will give you reference points as to where you cut the double angle on the siding. One aside, be sure to use Tyvek tape on all those tyvek joints and overlays. Is the window an existing window, or replacement?

Old 07-30-15, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 214 Votes on 199 Posts
Easy? not really, there is no shortcut here... and Larry's got it... snap a level line in the space below the window that goes ALL the way across the wall. Its always nice when the siding below a window goes into a finish trim or utility j, so if you have 4" siding, come 4" down from the sill of the window and snap a line. (or if it's 5", come down 5"). That line will represent the bottom edge of that row of siding. I don't know how wide your siding is, but let's say it's 9 1/2" from the bottom edge to the top of the fin. You would probably want to snap another line above the last one to represent where the top edge of the fin would be... then once you do that, you could snap the top edge and bottom edge of EVERY row by measuring down from that line incrementally... 8" if you have double 4... 9" if you have double 4.5... 10" if you have double 5.

So using your chalk lines as a reference, you can chalk the top and bottom of each row by measuring down in increments... 8, 16, 24, etc. Once you get below the peak, those chalk lines (which will show exactly where the top edge of your siding will go) will help you determine a). how long each piece will be... and b). exactly where it should be positioned when you nail it on. The chalk lines will help you visualize the size and shape of each piece of siding.

Only other advice I would give is to lay some old carpet or something on that roof, or it will be trashed by the time you are done siding it.