Vinyl fascia installation

Old 07-31-15, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl fascia installation

I'm working on a room addition and usually hire a metal guy to cover my fascia boards since it's not cost effective to rent a break for that small a job. I've been seeing vinyl fascia lately. I'm not familiar with it and was wondering about installation instructions- tricky to find on line.
I suppose it involves F-channel as a point for the bottom to hold on to and the tops slips into sill channel?
Links to accurate instructions would be handy.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-15, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Votes on 227 Posts
Yes, you have it correct. Its a pain in the neck, IMO. You would be better off just buying the preformed aluminum fascia cover. It comes in 4", 6" or 8".

Old 07-31-15, 01:39 PM
What holds it into the sill channel, or holds it up at all for that matter? If you nail it, it can't expand properly.

Old 07-31-15, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Votes on 227 Posts
If you put the finish trim at the right height, you can use a siding tab punch to make notches along the top edge so that it "clicks" into the finish trim and won't come down. It also wraps around and hooks the f-channel on the bottom. Like I said, it's a pain. I've had to go back and fix other people's vinyl jobs- pieces that are constantly blowing off, etc. I drill an 1/8" pilot hole and nail it as needed. Hate the stuff.

Old 07-31-15, 02:40 PM
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
Could not agree more.
I used to work with a moduler home company that built them with vinyl fashcia's.
Every single one of them failed.
There's a sticker right on the pieces saying not to face nail, of cource everyone was.
It would expand and contract so much it would bow out beyond the shingles.
Post a picture of how the soffit to rake was boxed in, you may not be able to use the preformed aluminum.
The way I do mine is totaly different then I've seen anyone else do but mine do not oil can and never had a piece come loose or fall off in a storm.
I use undersill trim (utility trim) nailed up side down up under the drip edge.
I prepunch the top of the soffit with a Snap Loc punch and where it bends to cover the end of the soffit I use another punch made to punch small oval holes for trim nails.
You push the metal up until it locks into undersill, and nail it from the underside of the hem making sure to not nail it tight.
Now it can expand and contract, and impossable to remove without a zipper tool.

Old 07-31-15, 02:45 PM
No such thing as a siding tab punch, it's a Snap Lock tool.
http://www.amazon.com/Malco-SL5-Viny.../dp/B00004SUQX

Old 08-01-15, 09:53 AM
All good stuff. Thanks. I may try the vinyl with the proper techniques and tools and see how it goes. Maybe on one run and do metal on the rest. I'm sure my local A11ied has pre bent for me.

I'm always interested in learning new skills and this is one of the newer vinyl products I haven't learned. The rest I'm very handy with having worked in lots of trades for lots of years.

As far as the stuff blowing off? I've had to replace plenty of metal that our Nor-easters have handily removed, even after using ring shank nails.

I'll keep the thread posted with results as long as the moderators keep it alive.

Old 08-01-15, 06:34 PM
Total waste of time and money even trying to use the vinyl.
Should be against the law to even sell it.

Old 08-02-15, 09:22 PM
I'm now decided to just get the pre-bent metal and hang it in an hour or two.