How To Do Exterior Work?

Old 08-05-15, 07:54 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How To Do Exterior Work?

I will need siding and windows in the future. Although it currently shows wear the windows are single pane and outdated and the siding is slightly absorbing moisture on the edges in spots but still protects and isn't rotting off. My roof (shingle, 6 to 7 years old) received slightly high wear in some spots when replacing fascia board 2-3 years ago. Replacing siding I feel will cause even more wear in those spots. I currently have lap siding (compressed paper material basically)

What is the best approach to complete this work? I don't want to complete siding replacement only if roofing should be done at the same time vice versa. Current fascia and soffit is all painted wood.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-15, 08:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
I would try and replace the windows at the same time as siding. That makes it easier to go with new construction windows which usually go in before the exterior siding is installed. That would also give you a "new" appearance as opposed to being more obvious retrofit. Unless something else is going on you should not need to re-shingle for 20 years. I don't know how your fascia is causing "wear" on your roof or how new siding would affect that.

Old 08-05-15, 08:45 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I walked on garage roof to replace fascia on main house. A little more grains came off the shingles then normal wear from this. I also had to replace 2x4 backing fascia due to rot which required lifting shingles in some parts. Very few recieved damage but the damaged were patched or replaced. (I had to get under shingles to lift nails)

Nonetheless, garage is attached to house side so access to that side requires additional walking on roof. Where the walking occurred it is just slightly visible that there was extra wear but it is also less exposed there. Maybe I am just over-concerning myself with it?

So roofing can be also be done completely separate (a few years later) without clashing with new siding work?

Old 08-05-15, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Windows are definitely first. You don't necesarily have to do all the siding at the same time. One way to do it is just cut out the siding to put the windows (w/ nail fin) in, then once they are in, cut 2" or 3 1/2" away from the window (depending on what kind of trim you want) and put on some 2" brickmould or 1x4 (or 5/4x4) trim. Then do the siding later. As far as the siding is concerned, you generally want to cover the soffit and fascia first... and do the lap siding as the next phase.

A roof should always be protected from damage while working on it. This can easily be done with a long runner made of carpet or carpet pad. Depending on the pitch of the roof, a ladder with hooks can be hung from the ridge so that you can climb up and down, working off the ladder instead of walking on the roof (steep roofs only).

As far as roofing is concerned, it can "usually" be done without damaging the siding but it depends what kind of siding and obviously the siding shouldn't be installed tight to the roofing. No matter what kind of siding you use, you should leave a minimum of 1" between shingles and siding. Existing wall flashings will need to be reused if you don't want to disturb the siding. (this is good to think about because it affects how you tear off... being careful around all flashings in order to save and reuse them).