Siding the dormers

Old 08-06-15, 06:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Siding the dormers

I am residing my dormers with cedar lap siding. They had vinyl siding over the old siding. When the new roof was installed they put the step flashing under the vinyl, not the old siding. So I built up the side of the dormers so the new siding will come over the flashing. So far so good. My question is how far should the lower edge of siding be from the roofing? I am thinking about a half inch. The pith of the roof 11 inches per foot, very steep.. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 08-06-15, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
That's subject to debate. My personal standard is no less than 1". You want plenty of room for drying, and enough room to get a paint brush in there someday. The unpainted ends will suck up water and fail otherwise.

This site recommends 2". Cedar Siding General Installation Tips - Real Cedar

This page recommends 1/2". http://www.cedarbureau.org/manuals/i...-0407-i-p4.pdf

Depends who you want to listen to. I take the middle of the road approach.

If you go 1/2" and someone does a "roof over" when they shingle, now the siding will be tight to the roof... not cool.

Old 08-06-15, 08:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Xsleeper, think I will do 3/4 inch and am planning to prime and paint the edges.

Old 08-06-15, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you do 3/4", I would suggest laying a 1x4 on the roof as a guide to make sure you don't go too long or too short. It will help you achieve a straight line so that when you stand back it's not all over the place.

Back priming is a wise investment as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: